News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 German Medics - bandsmen

Guest Rick Research

This drum major was certainly overdressed to have been a noncombatant! While even surgeons toted swords in service dress as a form of rank display, that's a P-08 under this WW1 infantry Vizefeldwebel's elbow!

Perhaps the senior NCOs in a military band bore pistols to protect the "bayonets only" other members? This photo, snapped by a kid as troops entered his Sudeten town in 1938, also shows armed bandsmen.

Guest Rick Research

That's the Baden Merit Medal in Silver on the MKFVO ribbon-- red and yellow come out the same color in these process photos...

but note the characteristic freakishly distinctive "Italian" style loop across the top of the medal, rather than the normal German-style rings. :food-smiley-004:

• 1 year later...

From my original question.... when a man is listed as a "Hoboist" on his EK doc.... are we speaking about a flute player or any musician? And I guess the EK would be for acting as a strecher bearer?

I to have an EK doc to a "Feldwebel Hoboist" and am sure that I have read a few times that when push came to shove the Tubas were packed away and the Musicians joined the infirmary as bearers.

I bought one of those converted 1914 EKII/EKIs a while back. The seller said afterwards that it came from his family and belonged to a musician relative, he had no idea of what his relative did to receive it and thought it strange that a musician could be awarded an EK.

I assumed he would have been acting as a stretcher bearer.

Tony

Guest Rick Research

Having just finished Sachsen-Weimar's WW1 roll of General Decorations in silver with Swords, I have NEVER seen so MANY entries to bandsmen.

Now, either the Grand Duke was a sucker for a good oompah band every front visit he made...

or those went to the ALSO disproportionate number of medical corpsmen. (Ditto on MG personnel too, BTW) That has got to be the link-- auxiliary medical personnel.

Gentlemen,

what is the difference between a stretcher-bearer and a Medic?

Were German Medics used as regular soldiers or was there a distinction between the two?

My Grandfather served as a Medic Sergeant during WWI http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11829&hl=

In all the pictures I have of him he is wearing the regular Artillery uniform with no distinction whatsoever. He was also awarded the EKII as well as the silver bravery medal of Baden.

I have seen pictures of Medics in special uniforms (Red Cross etc.), are they in a different category (like combatant Medics and non-combatant Medics) or did they serve a different function?

Regards, Hardy

So , if stretcher-bearers had no special first-aid training, then anybody could double as one. One wouldn't need to specifically employ the bandsmen for that.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

So , if stretcher-bearers had no special first-aid training, then anybody could double as one. One wouldn't need to specifically employ the bandsmen for that.

Hardy

Indeed... but the bandsmen were the ones with little to do once the Regt was in the front line. Not being part of a regular company they seem predestined for it...