News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Israeli Medals, Badges and Patches

Ingsoc

Here is the fighter against the nazis medal, was awarded to all Israeli citizens who were part of an allied army, partisan group or a resistence group, btw notice the ribbon design, does it's remind you of another WW2 award? :P

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here is a patch of the Israeli border guard

IPB Image

Here is a group of IAF soldier, she served during 1981-1983 as a decrypter in the bat squardon, the group included: IDF symbol badge, Bat squardon badge, decrypter badge and the Lebanon war ribon bar.

IPB Image

Guest Rick Research

That far back? :beer: I have an IDF booklet on ranks, patchs etc from when I was a boy, around then... completely beyond my language skills being entirely in Hebrew, but there wasn't one of these pictured, so it must date from before that.

Those years are a blur, though not for the same reason as for my elders back then! :o

When you show the ribbon for the Lebanon War, early 1980s... is it still usual practice to have ONLY ribbons without medals? That seemed to have been the practice in the 1960s.

That far back? :beer: I have an IDF booklet on ranks, patchs etc from when I was a boy, around then... completely beyond my language skills being entirely in Hebrew, but there wasn't one of these pictured, so it must date from before that.

Those years are a blur, though not for the same reason as for my elders back then! :o

When you show the ribbon for the Lebanon War, early 1980s... is it still usual practice to have ONLY ribbons without medals? That seemed to have been the practice in the 1960s.

I should have been more clear on the matter, initiatly the award was only in ribbon bar form however in later years (probably somewhere in the 90es) it's was transform into a medal, sorry for the confusion.

It's still the practise to have only ribbon bars as awards, the ribbons giving for taking part in Israel's wars and pre-1948 activities such as being a member in one of the underground movement or joining the British army during WW2, the only medals exist in the IDF are the three valors decorations, not usually being awarded, however most holders prefer to wear them as ribbons rather than to wear the medal itself (I have never see a pic of a soldier wearing the medal on his uniform).

Here is a great site (the best on the net) with explanations about Israeli medals and decorations: http://www.yairmalachi.org/MedalsOfIsrael.htm

Edited by Ingsoc

• 2 months later...

Hi Ingsoc:

I got this Yom Kippur ribbon off ebay. May I beg a favour and ask you to translate it?

Do you know how many were awarded? The booklets' front has 0378544 on it.

Thanks!

"Israel Aircraft Industries

To Levi Itzchak

You have been awarded

The ribbon of the Yom Kippur war

for your contribution to the war efford"

Can't see clearly who signed it, perhaps you could make a better scan?

It's also look like it's was an award to civilian worker and not army personal, this ribbon was giving to anyone who took part in the war so it's very common award (I would estimate more than 400,000 ribbons were awarded).

The last words in the back are:

"In Regards

A.V Shwimer

General manager"

The front:

In blue under the Israeli coat of arms "The State of Israel Security office

This certificate show

that Levi Itchak

I.D number 0378544

Was awarded the ribbon of the Yom Kippur war

Shimon Peres

Minister of Security"

Edited by Ingsoc

A rather uncommon one:

IPB Image

Top row, 1st ribbon: Independence War Ribbon (1948)

Top row, 2nd ribbon: Sinai Campaign Ribbon (1956)

Bottom row, 2nd ribbon: Six Day War Ribbon (1967)

It's the bottom row, 1st ribbon that makes it rare: the Ot ha-Mishmar, or Guards Ribbon. For service in certain guard and police forces during the Arab uprising of 1936-1939, including the Jewish Settlement Police, the Special Night Squads, the Notrut guard units, the Palestine Police and the Supernumery Palestine Police.

To add a few Israeli ribbon bars and awards to the thread . . . .

No endorsement of political/historical interpretation is intended, and I adopt here official Israeli vocabulary.

Volunteers Ribbon

Established in 1961. Awarded to people who lived in the territory of the state of Israel who:

-- served in the UK armed forces during WW I (Zion Mule Corps, 38th King's Fusiliers, 39th King's Fusiliers, 40th King's Fusiliers, and the First Judeans);

-- served in the Turkish armed forces during WW I (drafted under the authorization of the Zionist leadership); or

-- served at least six months in the UK armed forces before 8 November 1944 or after.

Kinky enameled ribbon bar.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Nazi Fighter Ribbon and Medal

Established in 1967. Awarded to Israeli citizens who, during WW II, fought against the Nazis in one of the Allies armed forces, as a partisan, or as an underground movement member. Among others, this has been awarded to veterans of the Soviet armed forces for service in the Great Patriotic War who have emigrated to Israel in recent decades.

This ribbon is special ? it is the only Israeli ribbon that has been converted to a medal. No other ribbon in the IDF or state of Israel has a medal also, except the three decorations of the IDF, and the police decorations.

Medal shown above, this is the (real!) ribbon. Note the historical resonance of the colors and to the ribbon of WHAT an Israeli-blue stripe has been added. :P

Edited by Ed_Haynes

[iuWar of Independence, 1948-49

Also known as the ?Ot Kommemiut? or ?Freedom Star.? Awarded to every soldier in the Israeli ?War of Liberation? who either (1) served in the Israeli Defense Forces for at least four months between 1 April 1948 and 10 March 1949, or (2) actively took part a battle during this period.

It is strange that, although termed a "star", there has never been an accompanying medal added to the ribbon bar.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

War of Attrition Ribbon

Awarded to:

a) IDF personnel on active duty during at least 30 continuous days between June 11, 1967 and August 8, 1970.

b) IDF reserve soldiers who served a total of at least 30 days within the period as in a).

c) soldiers who were killed, wounded or missed in action during this war.

d) civilians, who provided direct assistance to the battle front or home front units during at least 30 continuous days in the period as in a), specifically:

- civilian personnel (not including volunteering minors) of IDF and the Ministry of Defense

- Israel Military Industries (IMI), the Armament Development Authority (Rafael) and Israel Aircraft Industry

-personnel of the General Security Service and Mossad

- the army department store Shekem and employees and volunteers of the Committee for the Benefit of the Soldier

- employees dealing with state of emergency arrangements

- drivers of transport companies, drivers who were drafted to the army together with their trucks or who voluntarily did so.

- exempts from military service and who volunteered to active service.

d) others not belonging to the above groups and who provided direct assistance to the battle front units, during at least 30 continuous days as in a), after presenting relevant documents and approval of the Ministry of Defense.

In case the eligible person died, a member of his family (widow, widower, parent, brother, sister, child) may request to receive the ribbon or replacement of lost or worn ribbon.

Presentation of the ribbon started May 7, 2003

According to IDF publications, the number of active IDF personnel entitled to this ribbon is 93, including 8 generals. The number of soldiers who are no longer on active duty and are entitled to this ribbon is 2562.

See: http://www.yairmalachi.org/MedalsOfIsrael/...aignRibbons.htm

Oh, since I have it out, though out of order, one more . . .

Medal of Courage

The Medal of Courage was instituted by the Law of Decorations in the Israel Defense Forces of 1970. This Law of Decorations relates to acts performed after June 4, 1967, but also to those earlier acts for which the title "Hero of Israel" or the Chief of Staff citation was given. The Medal of Courage is awarded by the Chief of Staff, for an act of gallantry at the risk of life, during fulfillment of combat duty.

Something ranging between a replica, and fake, a copy, a whatever. But as close as I'll ever get!

See: http://www.yairmalachi.org/MedalsOfIsrael/..._of_Courage.htm