News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Defying Death on the Dnieper River

What would guys make of this one, I suppose it's a replacement for a screwback?

You are right, this is a replacement for a screwback. Nice Red Banner. It was replaced probably in 1944 or 1945 acording to a mintmark. Could be a Victory Parade peplacement.

You are right, this is a replacement for a screwback. Nice Red Banner. It was replaced probably in 1944 or 1945 acording to a mintmark. Could be a Victory Parade peplacement.

This is very interesting info for me :beer:

Thank you.

Jan

This thread has become very interesting.... When I have the time, I will move a number of the posts to a new thread as "Discussion on an ORB variation/range.

Andrei, I'm not sure I agree 100% with the "depth of enamel" thought. if you look again closely at your 2 pieces. The shape of the hammer (slight) & plow (MAJOR shape difference) are very distinctly different and IMO, different dies...

Also, note the tops of the two "poles".. very different and not just from hand-finishing..

That's OK Rick, no problem :D

About Red Banners and different dies. First of all, those Red Banners were produced in July 1943 on Krasnokamsk Mint (Краснокамский Монетный Двор). It is highly unlikely that two different dies were used at the same time at this facility. I checked the shape of plow and hammer carefully but didn't find any distinctive differences that you mentioned. What looks as a shape difference is a result of bigger amount of white enamel, surrounding a hammer and a plow.

Tops of torch and pole are very different even on an orders with a close serial numbers. You are right, they were hand-finished after order was stamped. This hand finishing procedure was performed with a files, so it is almost impossible to find two exact torches or poles. I don't like to use only words. I'll try to illustrate my opinion with a pictures. So here we have two RBs with close numbers 96550 and 96911. As you see, in both cases plow doesn't touch banner's handle. So it should be one die, right? But if we compare torch and pole we can see they are still different.

Very interesting, Andrei :beer: What i have learned by looking at as many Red Banners as possible, is that you can?t go by the obverse details, but better concentrate on the mint mark and s/n-style. Thats not allways the solution, like the ORB (from you) on the picture below shows, which is absolutely okay IMO, but the mint mark and the s/n-style are most unusual for this numberrange.

I recommend you to take the time to take a look and also translate (with babelfish or similar...) the text to the single variations on Andrei?s website

www.mondvor.narod.ru

Its a slow connection, so be patient. But its worth the wait :beer:

Gerd, you are right. Fake makers improve their skills constantly and fakes look better and better every next year :violent: . Sometimes it is hard to determine a fake looking only at the obverse.

Here is another fake RB.

That one looks just great from the obverse :speechless1: Even the mint mark and s/n doesn?t look so bad. Thats a really scary fake :( You just have to educate yourself, when collecting these orders and my next purchase will be Durov/Strelakov?s book about Red Banners. But if they improve their fakes as good as before, it will be very very difficult to spot a fake. :angry:

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

This Durov-Strekalov book is available online for free. So it's even easier for you to translate the text. Just copy part of the text and paste it to your translator. BTW, this book is a masterpiece. I highly recommend it to everyone.

This Durov-Strekalov book is available online for free. So it's even easier for you to translate the text. Just copy part of the text and paste it to your translator. BTW, this book is a masterpiece. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Hi Andrei,

Can you please post the link where it's available to download?

Works on Acrobat Reader?

Another thing, which online translator would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Dolf

That one looks just great from the obverse :speechless1: Even the mint mark and s/n doesn?t look so bad. Thats a really scary fake :( You just have to educate yourself, when collecting these orders and my next purchase will be Durov/Strelakov?s book about Red Banners. But if they improve their fakes as good as before, it will be very very difficult to spot a fake. :angry:

Gerd

Wow! These fakes are indeed getting better and better everyday! :angry::speechless1:

But I guess I'd have some suspicions about this one, especially the obverse, because of some crude details on the surrounding wreath.

Anyway I guess you're right Gerd, if they keep improving (and it's obvious they do!) one of these days I just don't know how to spot a fake! :mad:

Dolf

Hi Andrei,

Can you please post the link where it's available to download?

Works on Acrobat Reader?

Another thing, which online translator would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Dolf

Andrei,

yes, please send me a pm, where the book is available online. I will buy the hardcopy for sure, but i would really like to take a peek before.

Thanks!

Gerd

There are two links - for Part 1 and Part 2. Unfortunately they are not in PDF format, but in DOC format - regular Word Documents. However, pictures are available as well.

http://www.mirnagrad.ru/cgi-bin/exinform/p...28/chapter1.doc

http://www.mirnagrad.ru/cgi-bin/exinform/p...28/chapter2.doc

About translator, well, I don't use any translators, so it's hard to recommend something. But I belive you can find something searching the web.

There are two links - for Part 1 and Part 2. Unfortunately they are not in PDF format, but in DOC format - regular Word Documents. However, pictures are available as well.

About translator, well, I don't use any translators, so it's hard to recommend something. But I belive you can find something searching the web.

Andrei,

Many, many thanks!

As for the translator, of course you don't need one :P Where do I have my head? :speechless:

I know a few and use a couple of these from time to time, but I'm never happy with the results, so always looking for advice.

Cheers,

Dolf :cheers:

Andrei, THANK YOU!!! :jumping::beer:

• 4 months later...