Yup, somebody's hunting club, or perhaps a private estate's hunting/forestry staff.

Obviously 1919-34, but what is strange is that NONE of them have their Iron Crosses MOUNTED-- they are just pinned on LOOSE.

Maybe guys who went into the same wartime Jäger unit together?

Note the Turkish War Medal star on the man at far left.

I have seen similar gorgets being worn on civil clothes by German rural constables before 1914, but the bicornes and the fact that the man in center appears to be wearing a two (or perhaps three) colored waist sash lead me to guess those indicated their status in this "pack."

Yes, but these are I. Armeekorps 2. Infanterie Division Feldgendarmes in March 1915. Nothing mysterious about them, except how individual policemen from allllll over got assigned to this sort of squad-- still wearing their civil police uniforms from Back Home, with army helmet covers.

That appears to be the Prussian eagle on the knuckle guard of his IOD89, and looks like a Prussian cockade on his cap, too.

He is wearing an ISSUE enlisted man's tunic (low collar, small cuffs) from one of many Guards units with the "Swedish" 2 button cuffs--

note that he has peeled off the NCO collar rank braid of of a Vizefeldwebel (dR probably, rather than a F?hnrich) leaving the weirdly placed single Litze up against his neck.

This must be a literally "make do" tunic-- perhaps the closest that could be found on hand while still in the hospital.

To add to Ralph's observation.....

Does the central black stripe on the ribbons sported by 'Gordons Brigade' look very narrow for EK2 ribbon....particularly on your guy with the Turkish WM...?

Marshall

I think that is just the effect of the flash "flare"-- makes the white cotton gloves look like they are glowing with radioactivity, and so the white in the ribbon "spreads" and seems "larger" while the dark recedes into their coats as "smaller" because the white is flared out. I'm not sure how to describe the technical effects of spoiled focus, but that's the result.

......I'm not sure how to describe the technical effects of spoiled focus, but that's the result.

Nonetheless, you describe it very plausibly Rick!!

I never noticed the glowing gloves.... I guess we should thank our lucky stars none of them are SMILING! biggrin.gif

Great pics...

Marshall