News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Deciphering an engraving

Gents,

I was surprised to find upon examining a new EK1 arrival that it has been neatly hand engraved. I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering some of the lettering, so I'd like to ask for some help there. I've posted a large and fairly clear image (reduced in bit size/resolution though) - note that there are some light wear and tear scratches over the engraving in places. I can make out;

The date (not show) on the upper cross arm; 18.9.1917

Friedrich ??Rau Lt u. Ba????

6 ?L?o??? / ?L or ?4 Fus Art 10

Could someone confirm/complete the deciphering?

And the big ask - once that's done, is there any further info available for him?

Regards

Mike

PS: after some searching, it seems Rau is a genuine German surname whereas the other possibility of Plau is not.

Edited by Mike K

Hello Mike:

A very interesting EK that you have there. Rau is a rather common Baden and Bavarian name. I can't find him in the 1914 Deutsche Rangliste or the 1914 Bavarian Milit?r-Handbuch. A fast search showed that he was not a recipient of the Prussian HHO knight with swords and I didn't find him as a recipient of any Baden or Bavarian Orders (although I don't have a listing for the MVO IVth with swords-24,000+ awards made). I may have missed a listing for him, but his EKI may have been his highest award as a Reserve Lt. in Artillery. He probably went to active duty status in 1914 or was a field commission, and then was killed, wounded, or cashed-out when the war ended.

A very nice piece. I bet that Rich Research can probably find some information on him from the 1926 listing of Officers who served from 1914-18.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Looks more like "Pau" to me. There is a line leading from the bottom edge of the "P" that goes to the top of the "a". The other line is probably just a scratch of some sort. At the end of the first line is "Lt. u Battfr." means Leutnant und Batteriefuhrer or Battery commander. The bottom line looks like "6 Lodt / L Fuss Art. 10" Perhaps just 6 Batt. / L Fuss Art. (regiment) 10 done badly. What I don't understand is the "L" in front of the unit designation. Fuss or Foot Artillery was heavy artillery so "Leicht" or light it cannot be. I understand there was Landsturm artillery, so perhaps it is Landsturm Fuss Art. (Regt.) 10. Officially the designation would be "Artillerie zu Fuss".

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

:beer: good job all around

Friedrich Pfau Lt u. Battf.

6. Batt/L.Fussart 10

That's LANDWEHR Foot Artillery (Battalion, presumably) which I haven't been able to place, yet.

Probably a 1915 or so reserve Leutnant--

amaybe Glen has him in the multitudes of thousands upon thoursands he's been typing up from the Milit?r Wochenbl?tter.

Rick,

the only suspect I have so far is one Vizefeldwebel der Reserve Pfau (Landwehrbezirk I Bochum)commissioned into the Westf. Fu?artillerie-Regiment Nr. 7 on the 19th of June 1914. He survived the war.

Regards

Glenn

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your efforts! It is much appreciated.

Here's a scan of the cross. No maker's mark, only the 800 stamp. Unfortunately the cross has been very neatly repainted at some stage.

Regards

Mike

Guest Rick Research

Well, thanks to Glenn we know Herr Pfau made it through the war and must have cherished that cross through many years of wear!