News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Few of my Favorite Things.........

Guest Rick Research

TWO dated Lenins added to the data base-- and now appears there was an INTERESTING little cluster of those on 26 February 1958!

You have also added the SECOND "D" (Д) serial Orders Book I've ever seen with that 1958 labor Gold Star-- the only other being from 1966.

:jumping::beer:

Order of Great Patriotic War 2nd Class

Sorry to tell you that, but this suspension GPW 2nd class is not real. I can explain this later (after I return back home from my job) with showing you some images as an example. Enamel part is made out of regular GPW type 2 and rayed part is made out of cast. Suspension probably is fake also but I can not say it for sure without looking at better images.

OK, finally I have some time to spend with my favourite hobby :D Was busy almost whole day :banger:

About this GPW.

1. The loop at the top of the upper ray is soldered to the order, but it should be a part of the order.

2. The edges of the enamel star's reverse should have gold-plating, but on your order they do not.

3. The center of the enamel star's reverse looks polished, rivets are flattened. It means the remnants of screwpost were removed.

4. And finally... Normally I do not tell any small secrets to people who I don't know really well. But in your case I'll make an exception. Take a look at the obverse. Find the word ОТЕЧЕСТВЕННОЙ, than find letter Й in this word. Do you see small dash at the top of the letter? All suspension GPW have this dash at the shape of round dot or very short horisontal line. If you see that this dot is triangle in shape (like on your order) it means that this belongs to late screwback order.

So the enamel part of your order made out of GPW Type 2.

Rayed star has smoothed, licked off surface with fake patina. This is very common in cast made specimens. Serial number looks ugly and unusual.

It would be nice if you can place good scans. Those pictures are too small. Maybe I can find someting else.

Edited by Mondvor

Obverse.

BTW, I surprised why most of the pictures on the forum are so small, that details are almost invisible. Good scanner costs less than post-war Red Banner. But people still prefer to take the pictures with cell phones...

Edited by Mondvor

MONDVOR,

Thanks for the info, but for the life of me a can not see that ring is soldered on, to me the reverse looks the same as yours exept for the T Mark and the ruffness around the holes :unsure: I need to check the obverse with the pic when I get home :unsure:

BTW most of us have to reduse the size of the pic to fit on the forum :cheeky:

Orer of Victory

Order of Victory,

I have to fit the images to the forum size as well. But if you compare my images with yours you can say they are different :cheeky:

About the ring on your order - if you can please post nice clear images of the ring itself.

Here are the examples of soldered rings. Of course they would not be that evident. Fakemakers will mask them.

On the left is a original OGPW 2nd class and on the right a fake. Hard to recognize from pictures of the

obverse. The second picture is a magnification of the i (left original - right fake)

regards

Andreas

and here is the reverse of the fake:

- separate soldered ring at the tip of the star

- bad engraved serial number

- the hole on the reverse has the wrong diameter

- stick pin has the wrong form

- inside the hole you can see traces of polishing (lines)

- a lot of pock marks ....