News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian officer's medal bar, franco-prussian war 1870-71

Dear forumites,

I'd like to introduce my latest aquisition. It's quite an interesting medal bar, because of its combination of awards. Rettungsmedaillen are quite rare to be found mounted on medal bar, even more on army officers' bars of the 1870-71 war. I guess there weren't too many officers with this combination of awards. The only strange thing is that the ribbons are strangely enough folded beginning from the right to the left instead of the contrary, like it was usually made. The backing looks almost like a Godet (German Orders maker and Juwellers like Godet used quite widely red backing before the end of the 19th century) without taylor label (look also at the metallic support with holes at the edges underneath the backing). But I think it's quite unlikely that Godet would have mistakenly folded the ribbons in this wrong or at least unusual order. The ribbons look all equally aged and are originals to the period of the bar's construction (1895-1900 I'd guess). The Rettungsmedaille comes correctly before the KDM as per rules and the Mecklenburg's MVK 1870 (the obverse is being shown in front) it is worn at the end of the bar, therefore it can be logically deduced that this medal bar was worn by a Prussian officer.

Here's the description of the medals on the bar:

? Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1870 am K?mpferband (OEK 1904) mit Eichenblattspange 1895 ?25? (OEK 1905)

? Preussen, Roter Adler Orden 4. Klasse mit Schwertern, 4. Modell, Ausf?hrung mit glatten Kreuzarmen (OEK 1703)

? Preussen, Verdienst-Ehrenzeiche f?r Rettung aus Gefahr, 1833 - ca. 1864 ?KOENIG? (OEK 1863)

? Preussen, Kriegsdenkm?nze 1870/71 mit einer Gefechtsspange ?Paris? (OEK 1941/24)

? Preussen, Erinnerungskreuz ?K?niggr?tz? 1866 (OEK 1938)

? Preussen, Centenarmedaille 1897 (OEK 1965/1)

? Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Milit?rverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse Jahreszahl 1870, am Band f?r K?mpfer (OEK 1344)

The RAO4x appears not be to an awarded piece, but rather a "Spangenst?ck", because of the swords that aren't in Gold. The quality of the RAO is however quite good (silver), quite light and the central enamelled madaillon shows a very delicate hand painted Red Eagle.

I know it's a long shot, but who knows maybe one day the wearer of this bar could be found....

Your comments and inputs are most welcomed.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

I am surprised not to see a long service cross!

That suggests:

1) he was already a Captain in 1866 but did not complete XXV Years Service even with 3 years double war time (1866, 1870, 1871)

2) a dR/dL Hauptmann aD with only an LD2 being worn in ugly regulation form as a pin back brooch-- and not XX calendar years of service.

This is tricky, because who knows when the Lifesaving Medal might have been awarded-- after leaving the army is possible.

So it needs a search on the EK2/RAO4X/MK2 for somebody who disappears without a long service award EXCEPT a choice of none OR an LD2... and who might have a ? showing. Find somebody with ALL of those and I agree--

there won't be two of them! :beer:

Too early for my sources on this one!

Thanks for the compliments WC ;)

@ Rick L.: Yes, I found it also odd that there was no long service medal/cross on this bar, but sometimes they simply didn't wear them!!! (see below).

Christian L. pointed me out, that Thies sold a similar medal bar (but with two more medals at the end) in 1988 and there was an article on a German Magazine (Heft "INFO Nr. 59" of the year 1988) in which the researched name of the officer was mentioned (Generalleutnant a.l.Suite der Armee Ernst Frhr. von Mirbach). This bar was sold again at Thies a couple of years ago (24. Auktion am 30. April 2004).

Quite interesting, isn't it?? You can see that the ribbons are also folded the same way and in the same direction. Could that be that this officer had two bars or mine was his previous bar?

On Thies Auction's medal bar you can see that the RAO4x is the last version (mit gek?rnten Armen).

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

• 2 weeks later...