68 replies to this topic

#41 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 23:41

Hello André,

No, the markings Rob is referring to are the maker's marks on the reverse of the medal. The cornocopia for the Paris mint (Monnaie de Paris) and the letters "BR" for bronze metal content. He thought he had another example to show off of the Bertrand manufacture.

Regards,
Tim

#42 André G.

André G.

• Basic Membership
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 00:40

I ashamed :(
I am so sorry for my mistake.

an interessant link,
http://www.medailles...-medaillew.html

I don't the signification of CL (or LC?)

#43 Hugh

Hugh

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 00:59

I ashamed :(
I am so sorry for my mistake.

an interessant link,
http://www.medailles...-medaillew.html

I don't the signification of CL (or LC?)

Souvenez-vous de Mme. Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien!

#44 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:28

Hello André,
No worries and welcome to the discussion here!Posted Image

That was a very nice site link and it certainly applies here. It also has a wealth of information for collectors in other areas as well.

Merci!Posted Image
Tim

#45 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:48

To all,

Here is another French War Commemorative medal with yet a different makers mark on the reverse. It is part of a group of 6 that I have. I only noticed the different mark when I was looking for my Arthus Bertrand marked specimen.

Close-ups of the reverse and mark to follow.

Regards,
Rob

Attached Files

#46 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:49

And here is the close-up of the reverse. Note the similar diamond shaped mark.

Regards,
Rob

Attached Files

#47 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:50

And the mark itself.

It is a similar external shape to that shown on post #32-34 but there is definitely different internal markings. While it is difficult to tell I believe the central mark resembles an upside down arrow.

I am hopeful that someone more knowledgeable can identify this maker. Any thoughts??

Regards,
Rob

Attached Files

#48 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:50

To Tim,

I am still searching for my Arthus Bertrand example. It will eventually turn up.

Regards,
Rob

#49 Bison

Bison

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:18

And the mark itself.

It is a similar external shape to that shown on post #32-34 but there is definitely different internal markings. While it is difficult to tell I believe the central mark resembles an upside down arrow.

I am hopeful that someone more knowledgeable can identify this maker. Any thoughts??

Regards,
Rob

Hi Rob
Hi everybody

First I apologize for having being absent during the last two months. I hope I could participate to this thread a little more now.

The mark shown by Rob is of Léon Chalin : L an anchor C. The mark is inversed, it occurs sometimes.
If you reverse the pic, you can see clearly the mark :
Attached File  Leon Chalin 2.jpg   77.77KB   10 downloads

Regards
Bison

#50 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:46

Hello Bison,

Welcome back. Thanks for the input regarding the last War Commemorative medal mark. I have another example with this mark but never noticed that it was merely inverted.

I have also recently been made aware that the examples in posts #27-28 and #32-34 of the thread have another variety of the mark of Léon Chalin. Is this manufacturer Paris based like most of the others?

Regards,
Rob

#51 Bison

Bison

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:55

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards
Bison

Edited by Bison, 05 September 2010 - 07:56 .

#52 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 20:43

Welcome back Bison! You had me worried for awhile and wondered if you had someone else!! Posted Image

Happy to see you posting again!Posted Image
Tim

#53 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 20:47

Interesting mark above, Rob. I think I posted this PIC over on another thread and will repost it here. Notice, yet another diamond marking. Hard to tell the center as it appears it took a strike in the area.

Tim

Attached Files

#54 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:01

Hello Rob

Yes, Léon Chalin was a medal maker in Paris. His workshop was 12 rue de Crussol. He was registered from 1895 to 1929.

The other mark (C and L superposed) is assessed to be another Léon Chalin's mark. But I have no clear evidence of that. This is only an assumption.

Regards
Bison

Hello Bison,
Thanks very much for the clarification. That is good information. :D

It would be good if someone else could add to the mix and confirm this.

Apart from the recent book by Patrick Binet, which shows the relevant makers marks of the Colonial medals, are there any other references available that has some form of listing of the myriad of French manufacturer hallmarks? I have an old copy of 'Court Jewelers of the World' by Jeffrey R. Jacob, dated 1978 which is very useful. While it shows a great many different manufacturer marks it is also incomplete in many areas. It would be advantageous if such an updated book were produced.

Regards,
Rob

Edited by RobW, 06 September 2010 - 03:15 .

#55 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:50

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

Attached Files

#56 RobW

RobW

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:57

Thought I would add another maker's mark here on this thread despite the apparent lack of interest anymore. Shame, as the thread had potential IMO.

Here's one of the marks for Arthus Bertrand on a WW1 Commemorative Medal. I read on another site that the symbol is supposed to be a wheel gear topped with a star but, it looks more like the star is topped by the wheel gear. The letters A.B. et Cie in the bottom of the triangle.

Tim

Hello Tim,

It is a nice Arthus Bertrand specimen. I have posted another AB example on the following thread which clearly shows the details of the mark.

French War Commemorative varieties

Regards,
Rob

#57 Hugh

Hugh

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 13:04

Tim

Thanks, Tim, still adding to my store of knowledge.

#58 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 17:00

Yes, I seen the other thread. I just wanted to keep the marks on one thread so future collectors didn't have to search countless pages to find the information. Doesn't really matter, as there aren't many contributors actually adding anything to establish a database.

No knocks on those reading if they don't have pieces to add, just a general statement here. ;)

Regards,
Tim :cheers:

#59 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:10

As I went through my French Commemorative Medals tonight, I thought I would put up a better Arthus Bertrand PIC.

Attached Files

#60 Tim B

Tim B

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:12

I won't bother with my Leon Chalin as the mark is posted above already, but I will add an example of the Paul Leclere mark on another Commemorative Medal.

Another triangle that has the letters P and L with a lightning bolt in between.

Tim

Attached Files

Edited by Tim B, 21 October 2010 - 07:13 .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users