News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be where "jeri-rig" came into existence? 'AHHH!!!! just jeri-rig it for now"

I usually miss jokes when it comes to the origins of words such as "jeri-rig" but in case you were serious I have always believed the term to be "jury-rigged". That is to say, something that came about, that was not considered normal, through the collaboration of a group of people.

Regards

Brian

I usually miss jokes when it comes to the origins of words such as "jeri-rig" but in case you were serious I have always believed the term to be "jury-rigged". That is to say, something that came about, that was not considered normal, through the collaboration of a group of people.

Regards

Brian

I've heard of that term also when it came to an unfair decision but "jeri' was common during WWII like the 'Hun' was in WWI. When I was in, a five gallon can of gasoline came in a 'jeri-can', we temporaly fix things as in using wire to hold something together as 'jeri-rigging'.

Chris

Just thunk...Why not just lockup the ammo then the kids and you can just run around shouting bang bang, my mother would scream ok but no bayonets and has that thing got bullets in it!!! "no mam we can't find any!" :lol:

Eric

According to this it is neither...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig

:-)

You put your trust in a site who's owner is on the run from US Federal Law? :)

The brits called the germans, Jerrys and we yanks picked it up on our way through Britain to win the war, a second time. I think adopting the slang 'Jerry' from our british cousins for the Huns and bringing home 60,000+ british war brides was payment enough!!!!!! :):) :)

Actually I believe there is room to argue that both could be correct in this case. It depends upon whether you are looking at the "fix" as temporary (jury-rigged) or shoddy (Jerry-rigged).

A "rigged" jury is something else all together.

Eric,

Canadian Law requires all firearms to be secured whether in your home or not. You would be better off running around with an unsheathed bayonet than an unloaded firearm, according to the regulations. I'm not sure about the laws where Chris lives, (somewhere East of Toronto). I'm lucky as my collection is older black powder firearms (muskets) and can be displayed in the open, that is to say not locked up.

Regards

Brian

You put your trust in a site who's owner is on the run from US Federal Law? :)

The brits called the germans, Jerrys and we yanks picked it up on our way through Britain to win the war, a second time. I think adopting the slang 'Jerry' from our british cousins for the Huns and bringing home 60,000+ british war brides was payment enough!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thanks for turning up warwise x 2......eventually. :lol:

Here is a nice card I just bought :love:

Even in small Sweden you can sometimes get really nice items from the Great War ....

Here is a guy from a Art unit ? with the 1916 helmet , and a Mauser pistol with wooden stock by his side !

Is not often you se these pistol armed soldiers , what kind of position did they have ? anyone who knows more

Regards

Christer

Thats a very nice pic indeed!!!

• 7 months later...