News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraq Commitment Medal

Since I posted the above threads, I`ve done a little more digging and it appears that this medal runs the risk of fading into obscurity. It does appear that very few people know about it. To that end I have created a Facebook page for it, if only to spread the word and educate people about it`s pending existence. I`d be grateful to anyone with a FB profile to pay it a visit and `like` my page. I think it would be a real shame if this medal was to be just simply forgotten about.

I fear you may well be right. The most recent thing I can find on the net is for last year were the US D.O.D were still considering the idea. The main stumbling block appears to be who`ll produce them, Iraq isn`t really in a position to do so and other countries appear reluctant to fork out for it. Time will tell I suppose................

• 5 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

Found this on another forum, thought it might be of interest? It appears that the medal is being produced?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232167-an-example-of-the-iraq-commitment-medal/

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

• 3 weeks later...

To all,

Found this on another forum, thought it might be of interest? It appears that the medal is being produced?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232167-an-example-of-the-iraq-commitment-medal/

​It appears that the picture links didn't come through. I have attached a consolidated picture accordingly.

This item is already listed on ebay so collectors could also find it there (auction no: 221698116084).

Regards,
    Rob

753522.jpg

• 2 years later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 9 months later...

No, and it most likely will not happen.

There was a single presentation to (at the time) Vice President Joe Biden

It is my understanding that there are two criteria for the US to accept a foreign award

1) The medal cannot be strictly for foreign troops, but must also be a decoration for those of the presenting country's troops who partook in the campaign.

2) Initial issue has to be made by the awarding government. Once that happens, the US will authorize it be produced by US firms and sold in the PX, etc, for troops to buy as replacements, or for higher quality strikes that conform to US regulations. (It is not uncommon for other countries to have different width ribbons)

Incidentally, Afghanistan also authorized a medal that never materialized.

• 3 months later...

Saw this earlier on another platform, thought it might be of interest?

Noticed the medal ribbon is slightly different. 

But it is reported to be to DOD specs? Although authorisation for wear is still pending it seems. This would be a step in the right direction as the Iraqi's originally said "we" were to produce it ourselves and issue it to our troops. 

FEA80113-02B2-47F6-BF53-1A8DDA2FC5F5.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 2 weeks later...

As previously stated, neither the Afghan Medal nor the Iraq medal will not be awarded to US Soldiers.  Grandpa Jo got one, some very senior leaders, and some troops present  did within the US (like 15 total). Iraq is in such turmoil as is Afghanistan, and of it is ever authorized those who served will get it when we are old and crusty.

• 4 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 years later...