News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great work! Thanks for the identification, Laurence.

Here are two more photos that came in a separate lot, but of the same person (also unknown). The first picture shows him in uniform on which three gulls are visible on his left collar tab, two stripes on each of his lower left and right sleeves, and above that on his left sleeve a patch (introduced in 1937, I believe) indicating he is "Flak" personnel. Also visible are a DRA Sports Badge and a LW Marksmanship lanyard.

The detail of photo one provided clues to the second photo (dated 1938) which shows a group of men in a factory, perhaps, wearing work coveralls - two of whom in front show rank chevron on the sleeves. Our man in photo one I believe appears in the back row on the right side, visible as wearing the visor cap showing LW insignia. They are all standing on and around what I believe must be an anti-aircraft/flak gun. There are numbered storage rooms behind them, and a mechanical dolly above them, presumably for moving heavy equipment, etc.

Your confirmation of any of the above details and other related comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Burchell

Hi John,

Going on the two stripes and what appears to be a report book placed in the jacket, the ?Feldwebel? shown in post #4 is in fact "Der Spiess" (The Spear) affectionately known as "Die Mutter die Kompanie" (Mother of the Company.)

So, no ordinary NCO.

The link will take you to a couple of photographs showing this rank.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1583...st=0#entry12272

Excellent pictures in the link which you kindly provided, John. Thank you for this identification. I had totally missed the book stuck into the front of his uniform jacket.

Can anyone comment on the group shot and a possible likely venue where that picture was taken, like maybe a factory where the flak guns were made and assembled? Would these folks have been technical workers, mechanics or similar? The men in the lighter-coloured longer coats, on the left and right, perhaps were foremen? And what about the two wearing visor caps (other than "Der Spiess") in the back row?

Here is the difficult to read cursive which appears on the reverse of the photo of "Der Spiess", which may help in the identification of the man or the location.

This is becoming interesting, and your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Burchell

And here are two additional photos which came in the same lot, showing the same group of men with "Der Spiess", along with the cursive that appears on the reverse. These may further assist in identification.

Photo #1 shows five men standing in front of a building.

Photo #2 shows four men proceeding through a field toward a fifth man standing in front of the stone wall. The man in front seems to be carrying a white bag (perhaps their sausage, cheese and bread for a picnic?). The back end of a truck or vehicle from which they presumably descended can just be seen at the left.

Photo #1

Edited by John Burchell

Guest Rick Research

Oogie handwriting. :speechless1:

1) Revier Grelle Quartier

2) bei Rennemarsch

There is no "Grelle" in the German zip code directory. What's the sign on the fence in front say? It almost appears to be a Feldpost unit number to me. :rolleyes:

I can't improve the focus on your tiny scan, but under some sort of design, it looks like "L 3(2?0?)5(1?8?)7

get that number clearly, check the Feldpost unit number and... bingo.

Excellent! Thanks for your assistance, Rick.

Under magnification of the photo, the sign on the fence clearly reads: 3 Pr.St. / L 30567

Does anyone have a source for identifying, or can anyone please tell me the details of, this Feldpost Nummer?

Edited by John Burchell

Excellent! Thanks for your assistance, Rick.

Under magnification of the photo, the sign on the fence clearly reads: 3 Pr.St. / L 30567

Does anyone have a source for identifying, or can anyone please tell me the details of, this Feldpost Nummer?

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 3. Batterie Reserve-Flak-Abteilung 263,

(30.7.1941-28.2.1942) 3. Batterie schwere Eisenbahn-Flak-Abteilung 263,

(8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 6.9.1943 3. Batterie schwere Flak-Abteilung 263 (Eisenbahn).

Thank you, John. I've learned something from you today. That's what I truly appreciate about this forum.

Since the photos appear to date from the early years of the formation of this Flak-Abteilung (eg. the factory group shot above in post#5 which is dated 1938), I am assuming that the location of the view in question showing the Fedpost Nummer is most likely either Neumuenster or Hamburg.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

It sure is a small world, the unit name of Eisenbahn-Flak-Abteilung 263 rang a bell, I checked when I arrived home from work this morning, and I have 2 promotion documents to an NCO from this unit !!!

Took these photos a while back, will do closer if there is some interest....

Bob