News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jr. Sgt. Artyom Semenovitch Ivakhnenko

As the research was summarised and described by the vendor:

Artyom Ivakhnenko was drafted into the Red Army in late 1943, following the liberation of his native village in Kiev Region.

By July 1944 he had the rank of Junior Sergeant and served as deputy rifle platoon commander in 385th Rifle Regt., 112 Rifle Div., 13th Army, 27th Rifle Corps, 1st Ukrainian Front. On July 6, he assumed duties of his fallen platoon commander, rallied the platoon to attack, and was among the first to break into the enemy trenches. In this engagement Ivakhnenko was seriously wounded (his second wound of the war). On July 23, he was recommended for an Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd cl. by his regiment commander, and on 10 August 1944 awarded with it by a decree of the 27th Rifle Corps.

After recovering from his wound, Ivakhnenko was reassigned as member of a mortar crew to 227th Rifle Regt., 183rd Rifle Div., 38th Army, 101st Rifle Corps, 4th Ukrainian Front. During the October - November battles in the Beskides (continuation of the Carpathian mountain chain), he was instrumental in eliminating 24 German soldiers, 2 heavy machineguns and 4 lorries with ammunition. On 10 November 1944, he was awarded with the Medal for Valor.

In January 1945, Ivakhnenko distinguished himself during the fighting in the eastern Czechoslovakia. On January 18, his mortar crew suppressed 2 enemy machine-gun emplacements and killed as many as 12 German soldiers. On January 21, by accurately laying the mortar he suppressed an enemy firing emplacement, and on January 25, suppressed 2 heavy machineguns and killed up to 8 enemy soldiers. For bravery and skill, on 21 February 1945 Ivakhnenko was awarded with the Order of Glory, 3rd cl.

On 30 April 1945, Ivankhnenko was among the first in his unit to ford the Oder river in its upper stream near Moravska Ostrava. Keeping up with the infantry, he positioned his mortar near the edge of a village, fired at the retreating enemy, and killed 10 German soldiers. When the Germans counterattacked on May 5, Ivakhnenko quickly deployed the mortar. He then ordered the other soldiers of his mortar crew - by then he had been promoted to the crew commander - to take positions at the windows of a nearby house with their personal weapons. His rapid fire killed 6 enemy soldiers and forced the rest to retreat. For this feat, Ivakhnenko was awarded with the Order of Glory, 2nd cl. on 1 June 1945.

When the original research either resurfaces or gets done all over again, I shall of course post it here. :banger:

Love the glory groups. If you knew who the researcher was? Would there be a chance he could have a copy of the research saved? Pete

I think I know who did the research and I have asked him. I also expect to see him in August.

I have hopes also that the dealer can untangle his records and dig out the research he summarised.

Guest Rick Research

That certainly seems like the best decorated junior NCO group I can recall seeing. Wow.

• 1 month later...