News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enjoyed the pix in the lounge!

is there any legal danger from picking this stuff up?

is there any physical danger from the UXB (ordnance)?

thanks!

joe

Hi,

if you get caught, it can be nasty, but they usually just bust the balls of folks taking live munition.

Stick grenades have a toxic explosive, but, as I learned recently, they are not watertight, so the fuse and explosives are usually totally water logged. I made sure not to touch it as I scraped it out.

There was a lot of live heavy shells... me no touchee sht like that.

To get caught lugging a shield through the forest would probably get you some kind of fine as the foresters look out for such obvious souvenier hunting.

I was however given this one by a forester as I stopped off to say goodbye on my way home... call it French hospitality cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I think you found the shield at the same place where I found mine :D Its the same type of shield; I think model 1916. The small hook under the lever for the armored lid of the firing slot was used to attach the foot while carrying the shield.

They are suprisingly no so expensive, I guess because not a lot of folks have a way to display them.

A US dealer had 3 variations for about $200 -250 a pop. I would bought them all... but postage woulda killed me. I know a dealer here wih 2 for EUR150 a piece. Its a joke when you compare them to the prices of other things.

Here is something else that I dont see everyday... A protective breast plate. This one is for sale for about 850 dollars. How rare are these? I bet that this and that trench shield would make an awesome machine gun nest display if one had the manniquins and area to set it up!

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Imperial/photos/G00551.html

Paul

Here is mine as it was found 1500 m north of Fort Douaumont.

The "Grabenpanzer" or "Sappenpanzer" is very rare, especially in that condition. I would consider 800 $ as a "normal" price for a complete one in good condition. But don't forget the helmet armor shield ;)

Edited by JensF.

As we're showing off our sniper shields.....

Jens, do you which type of shield this is?

The flaps at the sides still move nicely, I think those turned handles are great and I believe the greeny grey colour is original.

Tony

I think it may be a german one, the curved forward sides seem to be a feature to these.

There was a US dealer who bought a museum in Belgium and had many WW1 things on his site, including 3 variation shields, one similar to this one. he did not know for sure if they were german either.....

Anyone have a field photo of these in use?

Thanks

Chis

Hey Jens! Welcome aboard! Very cool topic. One of my favorite "kid" memories was reading over and over a paperback, profusely illustrated book about WW1...... it had an entire section on Verdun with tons of pix of debris, bones, ordnance, etc. still lying around. Fascinating then and still today! Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

you mean new pics? I haven't cleaned it and I will keep it as it is. Only a little bit with a wire brush to remove the loose rust. But I made the opening/lid usable. It took me 30 min. Good german steel... ;)