News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Model 1916 Bulgarian pilot badge 1928 dated!

Hi guys, just wanted to show you one of my big dreams, which came in flesh... silver... :jumping::jumping::cheers:

Model 1916 badge, also given to pilots after the WW1 /wich were only a handful, because the existance of an air force was strictly forbidden until the mid 30's and it was very small and secret, hidden/, until the new model badge with enamel was issued. However older pilots, given the old type badge, continued to wear it form time to time even in the 1940, on the new 1941 uniforms.

Made of silver, with gold plating on the sunbeams and the wings.

Edited by Theodor

Pin missing, but this is absolutely not important to me :love::beer: O the back side is engraved the name of the pilto and the year he qualified for it - 1928. As far as I know he is on the photo, too, as said the AF is secret, so they look almost like civillias with pilot badges :P

Edited by Theodor

Guest Rick Research

Can you find out about his career?

Was the badge made with the <> shaped plates on back for the pin, or do tou think that was an old repair? I have never seen those before and wonder if that is a good way to tell a post-1918 badge from a pre-1919 one?

Yes, these are very hard to find, usually they are not unaffordable, but worse - unavailable.

As for the pilot, I knew him from before, all is known, they were only a few men, so it's quite easy to follow their story. He did not become any famous or a big commander, but after all any of these early pilots had a big contribution for the AF.

Now, about the pre-1918 - post-1918. This is a tough question and I do no know the answer, just will try to guess.

First of all, the cpuntry was out of the war in late 1918. The first postwar class of a few pilots got its starting order on November 15th 1923. So, in my opinion, they were the first men to get pilot badges after the 1918, and this must have happened in 1924, the spring or the summer.

Back to the badges. All the matherial available for comparison are the original 1928 badge and a photo of a /supposedly/ original WW1 badge. My theory is this: the WW1 badges were imported from.... somewhere /does it have the touch of a German or other known maker? What about the decorated backing??/. And the post-WW1 badges were local made copies. Looking at the higher detail of the WW1 badge and the lower detail and the thick top ending of the 1928 badge, it seems to me that the 1918 is the original, fine make, while the 1928 badge is a silver cast copy of such a badge, local made, with a simple flat backing. The <> pin attachments look original to the badge, no clue for repair/later adding.

Here is a friend's observer...I can't find the back image but it's identical to mine except with "800" stamped on the pin.

IPB Image

It seems to me there were variations in the gilding from maker to maker. I saw the badge group (Prussian Pilot, A-H pilot, and Bulgarian pilot) to a pilot courier who flew back and forth across the borders with important documents. His Bulgarian had gold wreathing.

Here is the badge that just sold at Morton and Eden. Another gilding pattern, and check out that fretted out crown!

IPB Image

I threw on a bid of 500 pounds and then emailed them saying I needed a back image before I would increase my bid. They wrote back saying, "we'll try, we're kind of busy!" Someone else scooped up this beauty for 525 pounds!!! :speechless:

The only other One of these I've seen was Adrian Forman's, years ago. It was CASED, ENGRAVED, and mounted with RUBIES :jumping: in the wreathing. I would KILL just for a photo of it today!

Rgds

John

Hello John,

Thank you very much for showing your great badge and your friend's one!!!! It is tough to see these even on a photo!! Yours are really great, I can only dream someday to get a WW1 pair!

What do you think, from the features of your badges, can they be identified to one or another manufacturer? Do they have something specific for one or another maker, German, Austrian or other?

Once again, thanks for showing!!

Edited by Theodor

You're welcome, Theo. Yours is the sixth real one I've seen in my life...as opposed to 1,234,678 Prussian pilots, 345,689 Air Gunners!!! :cheeky: I read somewhere that there were only 65 Bulgarian pilots in WW1 ? I wonder how many badges were issued to other nationalities, probably a lot more. I couldn't begin to speculate whether mine is German made, though it looks it.

Maybe Stogie can weigh in here...

Beautiful badges gentlemen. I have seen more on this thread than in the last 20 years of collecting imperial and have never held one. I have a nice copy of the observers badge, but a real one (pilot or observer) has always eluded me. It would definitely be the pinnacle of my badge collection.

Dan Murphy

• 1 month later...