News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rarest East German award ?

Hello Guys ,

As i,m a total novice when it comes to East German awards i would like to know which is the rarest / hardest to find award ?

also is this the most expensive ? are these rarer awards being faked ?

Thanks

Grant

I would say it is Bluecher (some spell Blucher) Orden several which were found in a vault in Strausberg after the fall of the wall. So there are is no mention of this medal in standard references prior to 1989. They were to be awarded upon a successful Soviet offensive against NATO. Only a few hundred were made and all went to the Armee Museum (formerly NVA Museum) in Dresden. You see copies on the market, but originals are very rare. There are rumors that a few went out the back door to other museums and collectors. There were thousands of the lesser Bluecher medal produced, but I believe they also went to Dresden. Copies of these abound as well. Kevin

Hello Guys ,

As i,m a total novice when it comes to East German awards i would like to know which is the rarest / hardest to find award ?

also is this the most expensive ? are these rarer awards being faked ?

Thanks

Grant

All of the rarer DDR medals have been or are being copied. Some are post unification restrikes by the original firms that made them, others are out and out reproductions or fakes. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

I would say Hero of the DDR, this decoration was only been awarded nine times:

Heinz Hoffmann 28. - November 1975 & 28. November 1980

Friedrich Dickel - 01. December 1975

Erich Mielke - 01. December 1975 & 28. December 1983

Leonid Iljitsch Breschnew - 13. December 1976

Sigmund J?hn - 21. September 1978

Waleri Bykowski - 21. September 1978

Willi Stoph - 09. July 1984.

It's price is about 9,500 Euro.

If we are talking rarest, then Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR (Cosmonaut-Pilot of the German Democratic Republic) would probably be it. It was only bestowed once, on 10 September 1978, to then Oberstleutnant Sigmund J?hn. He was the first German (east or west) in space.

Edited by ehrentitle

I would say it is Bluecher (some spell Blucher) Orden several which were found in a vault in Strausberg after the fall of the wall. So there are is no mention of this medal in standard references prior to 1989. They were to be awarded upon a successful Soviet offensive against NATO. Only a few hundred were made and all went to the Armee Museum (formerly NVA Museum) in Dresden. You see copies on the market, but originals are very rare. There are rumors that a few went out the back door to other museums and collectors. There were thousands of the lesser Bluecher medal produced, but I believe they also went to Dresden. Copies of these abound as well. Kevin

Another intresting thing about this award is that it's more "German", meaning it's design was similar to the pre-1945 German awards, this is unlike most of the other DDR medals and decoration that were heavely influence by their Soviet equivelent, as I understand this medal was suppose to be a valor decoration similar in terms to the Iron Cross.

IPB Image

• 1 month later...

Gent,

Interesting thread. Two points of view here. What is the rarest medal that one could actually have some hope of adding to their collection versus the rarest medal issued. The Bluecher is certainly one of the rarest and I would like to add one to my collection but they have recently been heavily faked so one needs to tread carefully. As for the medal issued that one could hope to acquire as an authentic one, complete with Urkunde etc, I would vote for the Scharnhorst Orden. I have recently been offered a cased one, complete with Urkunde, for 2000 Euros and am consideriing buying it. I would say $3000.00 for a KMO would be a bit high unless it was for one of the first numbered issued types. A gold content marked KMO, complete with Urkunde etc, should run no more tahn $2000.00 to $2500.00.

Regards,

Gordon

How did J?hn win his HSU? I did not know that an East German was honored with this title.

He was the first German cosmonaut and like all cosmonauts after he return from space he was awarded the HSU, that is also the reason he receive the Hero of the DDR award.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo all around,

I would like to show my Bl?cher medal. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about it but my visit in the Militaerhistorisches Museum in Dresden is planned for December this year.

On the backside is the probe 900

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Holger

• 1 month later...

If we are talking rarest, then Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR (Cosmonaut-Pilot of the German Democratic Republic) would probably be it. It was only bestowed once, on 10 September 1978, to then Oberstleutnant Sigmund J?hn. He was the first German (east or west) in space.

I agree...surely, the absolute rarest must be the Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR...that Siegmund Jaehn's double (the spare Kosmonaut (I can't remember his name..;-((...) not also get the title and medal?? Btw, apart from being given the Held der DDR with this award, you were also automatically given the Karl Marx Orden....Cheers, Torsten.

Below is a pic of the actual medal Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR....

Holger,

I was unable to see the pictures of your Scharnhorst medal. It would be something I would like to see. Could you try posting it again our perhaps send me a couple of pictures via email.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo all around,

I would like to show my Bl?cher medal. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about it but my visit in the Militaerhistorisches Museum in Dresden is planned for December this year.

On the backside is the probe 900

IPB Image

IPB Image

Holger,

I was unable to see the pictures of your Scharnhorst medal. It would be something I would like to see. Could you try posting it again our perhaps send me a couple of pictures via email.

Regards,

Gordon

I cannot see the pics either.... :( can anyone else see them or are they just not there?? Cheers, Torsten.

I cannot see the pics either.... :( can anyone else see them or are they just not there?? Cheers, Torsten.

Hallo,

yes, I must learn to handle the photo functions. When I postet the first message, the photos were still to see.

Here is the next trial:[attachmentid=58517]

Holger,

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, for you the back side of the medal:

• 2 weeks later...

hello All,

I am not a DDR collector but as all German decorations are in my field of interest I am wondering if you can help me with two question?

do you know if a Website exists that have information and images about DDR awards? and which was the highest award of DDR?? without mattering if was rarely awarded or never

thanks in advance!

Humberto