News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolia in March 2007

Thanks Ed for so many great pictures. It really is nice to see......other places. The first and third images are really very nice. I notice the lack of traffic on the streets (compared to south Florida in winter). Is traffic really as light as that?

Mongolian ODMs are, of course, great but it's really nice to see something other than those.

Having said that I happened to notice a certain part of the mural at The Zaisan Memorial.

In the photoshopped image below we see some particularly intersting images. Was the artist just guilty of wishful thinking or do these models for said mural with their western-style, upgraded "racks" wander about Main Street in downtown UB?

I know it's very unprofessional and ungentlemanly-like to speak of these sort of things publically but for some reason my eyes were drawn to them and I just had to ask. Apologies in advance for such wanton thoughts.

• Replies 108
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Founded in the 1960s as a philatelic club, their interests have expanded into coins, phone cards, and of course ODM.

There was very little to be seen (even as compared with last summer!) and the same was true of the various dealers' shops which we visited afterwards. What little was seen (mainly badges, random medals, Polar Stars, and a few Combat Valors) was unremarkable, undocumented, and OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. (And that wasn't because it was a foreigner asking, trust me.)

(There were also a fair number of fakes, mainly of the Hero of Labor -- as discussed on another thread here. These aren't very dangerous when you actually hold them, but a bad scan might be more difficult. Be warned.)

The reason for the high prices? The internet. All know and quote and rely on Igor's site to price their goods.

Read it and weep. :(

Hallo Ed, :D

with regards the highlighted parts on your post (see quote) you might have been talking / writing about the local Hobby Clubs in Romania, but the one you went to seems to have plusher seating than my local one in Deva :(

Kevin in Deva

Edited by Kev in Deva

Founded in the 1960s as a philatelic club, their interests have expanded into coins, phone cards, and of course ODM.

There was very little to be seen (even as compared with last summer!) and the same was true of the various dealers' shops which we visited afterwards. What little was seen (mainly badges, random medals, Polar Stars, and a few Combat Valors) was unremarkable, undocumented, and OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. (And that wasn't because it was a foreigner asking, trust me.)

(There were also a fair number of fakes, mainly of the Hero of Labor -- as discussed on another thread here. These aren't very dangerous when you actually hold them, but a bad scan might be more difficult. Be warned.)

The reason for the high prices? The internet. All know and quote and rely on Igor's site to price their goods.

Read it and weep. :(

And to think I was in UB in 1998, when SB's where selling for 50 US, and I wasn't even interested them at that time, still kicking myself for that :speechless:

Thanks Ed for so many great pictures. It really is nice to see......other places. The first and third images are really very nice. I notice the lack of traffic on the streets (compared to south Florida in winter). Is traffic really as light as that?

Mongolian ODMs are, of course, great but it's really nice to see something other than those.

Having said that I happened to notice a certain part of the mural at The Zaisan Memorial.

In the photoshopped image below we see some particularly intersting images. Was the artist just guilty of wishful thinking or do these models for said mural with their western-style, upgraded "racks" wander about Main Street in downtown UB?

I know it's very unprofessional and ungentlemanly-like to speak of these sort of things publically but for some reason my eyes were drawn to them and I just had to ask. Apologies in advance for such wanton thoughts.

I had the same thought, they look out of place.

I looks like you are having a great time Ed.

You must have had a great time meeting Mr. Gotov! I will post his signature asap in the signature thread!

I was going to post sooner but I've had the flue something horrible.

I couldn't help but think that it is a shame that the monuments etc. of the communist era are now being vandalized and neglected.

Sure, it may not have been the greatest, but it's still a part of their past. Can't really blame them though..

Anyway I hope Dr.B is well and I can't wait to see what great stuff you've found on this trip!!

Cheers

JC

In a small park in front of it (and in front of the National Academic Drama Theater -- think of all those theater badges), a new (2-3 weeks old) statue of Tsedenbal. Would they still be putting up new statues to Brezhnev in Moscow??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Since Chengiz Khan sits where the Subhbaatar-Choibalsan Masoleum used to stand until it was removed one dark night to make way for this new construction, one last look at Sukhbaatar may be in order. On the left of the statue (as seen here) are Subkbaatar's famous words at the time of the liberation of Ulanbaatar in Jul 1921: "If we, the whole people, unite in our common effort and common will, there be nothing in the world that we cannot achieve, that we will not have learnt or failed to do."

Guest Rick Research

Too bad! You missed early spring here Ed! It's been and gone and back to winter again.

Making me think, since I shall be performing my own be-shovelled labours on the morrow--

who/what keeps the grand square clear? Is there a Mongolian counterpart of Moscow's babushka brigade, or are things mechanized?

And :unsure: does one dare ask...

what HAPPENED to the displaced occupants of the mini-mausoleum, then?

Annnnnd, if they've got an Irish Pub, has PIZZA crossed the Gobi? :rolleyes:

Too bad! You missed early spring here Ed! It's been and gone and back to winter again.

And :unsure: does one dare ask...

what HAPPENED to the displaced occupant of the mini-mausoleum, then? :rolleyes:

The commonly told is that they were removed late one night and the corpses disposed of "by Buddhist rituals" (which I'm sure neither of them would have much appreciated!) before the mausoleum was knocked down with equal secrecy. All done very low-profile and a good bit of after-the-fact resentment has ensued.

See: http://www.mongolianmatters.com/2005/08/co...sukhbaatar.html (which glosses over some of the secrecy and speed)

And, as it was:

Edited by Ed_Haynes