News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian cap badges

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of mine, a nice looking badge - gilt edging, although I also have one with shiny silver edging.

Dear Leigh,

seems to be a very handsome cap badge of the pre-communist era :cheers: .

Question: Gold for officers and silver for enlisted men & NCOs :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

I think that it is gold for officers, silver for ranks below, but I also think its modern, think I saw it in wear by police n Srpska in 2000.

Memory's really going.........

Dear Leigh,

that's interesting, because usually or "brothers" in the RS don't use crowned double eagles, as far, as I have noticed - double eagle without crown.

We use now the crowned double eagle in Serbia as our coat of arms and as you can see at my business-card:

BTW: Our society, the "Austrian - Serbian Union" (founded in the year 1936 as "Austrian - Yugoslav Society) is as the official and bilateral society entiteled to use the official coat of arms :D .

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it is gold for officers, silver for ranks below, but I also think its modern, think I saw it in wear by police n Srpska in 2000.

Memory's really going.........

You are correct, Leigh - your badge is from the Republic of Srpska and is a modern one. I have three different badges of this series - one like yours, one similar but with a half-wreath around the oval and one plain eagle. There are probably ten or a dozen different badges, but only half that number of designs, since some are in silver metal and some in gilt. So, your badge design appears in both metals. I don't know the reason for this, but someonne out there will probably tell us!

Brian

You are correct, Leigh - your badge is from the Republic of Srpska and is a modern one. I have three different badges of this series - one like yours, one similar but with a half-wreath around the oval and one plain eagle. There are probably ten or a dozen different badges, but only half that number of designs, since some are in silver metal and some in gilt. So, your badge design appears in both metals. I don't know the reason for this, but someonne out there will probably tell us!

Brian

Dear Brian,

so, our friends in the Repulika Srpska use cap badges whatever they like - only the double headed eagle appears at each badge :unsure: ?

It's a strange world .... :speechless:

Christian

In Republika Srpska most of the things are based on a "whatever/however/whenever you like" theory... This would be the less important one. ;)

Regards,

Filip

Dear Filip,

that might be a rather precise description of how things are going on in the "other" Serbian Republic :D .

Christian

BTW: Could anyone tell me, why the Serbian Nation has to live in two (2) different, but bordering, states: Republic of Serbia & Republika Srpska :unsure::speechless::rolleyes: .

Because Republika Srpska is not a nation, but an "entity" of Bosnia and Herzegovina. You can find many informations here.

Of course, reasons are always much deeper and far more difficult to understand than what they look like, and this is a very complex issue, but this is not the right place to discuss it. ;)

Filip

Edited by Drugo

Does the Republic of Srpska have their own orders & medals ?

Because Republika Srpska is not a nation, but an "entity" of Bosnia and Herzegovina. You can find many informations here.

Of course, reasons are always much deeper and far more difficult to understand than what they look like, and this is a very complex issue, but this is not the right place to discuss it. ;)

Filip

Dear Filip,

that was just a mere rethoric question ;) .

If someone is interested about the non-existing nation of the Republic of Srpska, here is the official website of the government: http://www.vladars.net/ .

Another question: Do you know, if the RS has their own orders, medals & decorations :unsure: ? If yes, since which time to they have their award system - 1995 or later :unsure: ? I guess, that - in the case they have own decorations - they might be influenced in style & design by the old Royal Serbian Orders (like their uniforms).

If anyone has informations about that topic, please start a new thread here in the YU-section - many thanks :cheers: .

Christian

They've got their own medals, but I don't know much about them. stefko1963 on eBay has got a few examples.

Dear Filip,

many thanks for the link :cheers: .

They are extremly nice and very well manufactured :love: .

But their price tags are rather high :( .

As you know, I have no access to eBay blow-ups.

Please could you start a new thread and post the 3 blow-ups of these medals - many thanks :cheers: .

Christian

My understaning of Yugoslavian badges is that the 1941-45 period was somewhat chaotic, as might be expected. There were two "armies" opposing the Germanns, one being essentially the rmnants of the old Yugoslav army and the second being the partisans under J. Broz Tito. When some semblancce of order was established, as regards inssignia on the Partisans, side,, badges were mainly cloth, cut from anything avvailable, a red star being the cap badge. The Royal Yugoslav forces which were organised in Britain wore the old Royal Yugoslav insignia. There was a badge designed for the Yugoslavs annd made in Britain, but I have never seen any pictures of this being worn, nor have I seen any reference to it in reference books. I do have a specimen of the badge, though!

New badges were produced in the late 1940s, but thee were short-lived and the badges shown in my first scan were introduced. The badges with the hammer annd sickle emblem were worn by "Proletarian Troops" and the plain badges by other units. "Proletarian Troops", I gather, were those units which originated in the Proletarian Brigades and Divisions formed in the early years of theWW2 whose service and distinctions was commemorated by the wearing of the hammer and sickle on their badges.

My first scan shows a selection of the red star badges in use from about 1950 until 1990, when a new rang of badges was introduced for. the Jugoslav National Army.

My second scan shows two badges, I believe, of th late 1940s era, the Jugoslav crest being worn by Generals, but I do not know who wore the cockade. It is similar to the one already shown in this thread, but incorporates a wreath on the cockade and is made in three pieces (cokade, wreath overlay annd red eamelled star).

I think this information is ccorrect, but am open to correction from anyone who has more concise dwtails available!

Dear Filip, Dear Christian

I have got the oportunity to see and hold all of the Republika Srpska orders and medals in my hands. On the pictures the definitely look very nice, holding them in hands is a complete different story. The manufacturing is rather poor and "cheap". Nevertheless all of those items are a nice area of collection. The only thing as Christian already said is the astronomic price rising which occured during to the very limited pool of manufactured items. Another fact is that as far as I know there are no lists or numbers of awarded items present. :banger:

Best regards

Milan

Dear Filip,

many thanks for the link :cheers: .

They are extremly nice and very well manufactured :love: .

But their price tags are rather high :( .

As you know, I have no access to eBay blow-ups.

Please could you start a new thread and post the 3 blow-ups of these medals - many thanks :cheers: .

Christian

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

JNA-winter-cap-badge :unsure: ????

Gentlemen,

years ago I got this rather larger (5cm in diameter) badge from friends in Belgrade as a present:

What kind of badge is it :unsure: ?

A badge for a large winter cap :unsure: ?

Many thanks for your expertise in advance :cheers: .

Christian