News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show us some navy daggers!

Well I would like to start posting some edge weapons and such but the little pic

size allowed for awhile really defeats the purpose of showing.

My new computer is not as easy for me to show pics large but under the size limit as my other so here is a start with a postage size pic! Sorry!!!!!!!

So lets give it a try and see how little this turns out!

PVON

• 4 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

Great thread Paul. I will add some of mine (all named and researched)

First a PD Luneschloss named to Kapitanleutnant z. V. Theodor Heim, inscribed on the ricasso and on the scabbard.

2i8xi09.jpg

PD Luneschloss 2

2zteja9.jpg

Rarer "sailing ship" motif etch

feq8ur.jpg

2wcnn8x.jpg

One more, a WKC named to Kapitan zur See Arno Viertel, Komandeur, Marine Artillerie Arsenal Trieste. Herr Viertel was at Trieste when Tito?s 4th Yugoslavian Army took the city and naval base, and joined some 200k other Germans in notoriously harsh Yogoslatian PoW camps.

Sorry about the lower quality pics on this one. Havent gottent around to taking better pics of this one yet.

kdlhcm.jpg

fvy4hw.jpg

Fall of Trieste, source: Internet

263jvyq.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Gustavo: we should compare research data.

From naval Rank Lists, the directories of the Marine Offiziere Verband and its post-WW2 successor the MOH eV, Lohmann-Hildebrand and so on

I find no officer named Theodor Heim. If he was an Austro-Hungarian officer recalled for WW2... I didn't find him yet because the 1915 and 1916 K.k. Marine Rank Lists do not have an index.

The only F. Gabriel I find was

Friedrich Gabriel, Leutnant zur See 1.11.43 #107

(There was an Imperial Navy CHAPLAIN of the same name, but I don't think they carried daggers?)

Viertel was Kapit?n zS (W). After he died, his widow Alma remained in the MOHeV.

I don't know how you get anything out of the archives, whose standard line is usually that only next of kin are entitled to anything.

We get around that bureaucratic obstruction by using period sources.