News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I am a fairly new member here and virtually never post, but I believe you simply MUST see the reverse side of any clasp to tell if it is original. The pin structure, wreath strike, device strike (arrow, bomb, whatever), rivet construction, etc. are all critical. I have been collecting Luftwaffe items for over forty years and have seen innumerable clasps which look great from the front, but die when the back is examined. I'm not saying, at all, that this clasp is bad in any way, simply that it cannot be determined with certainty from what is shown here.

Best,

Harrier

There are three photos of the reverse in my original post.....

Ian

You are exactly right and I apologize. My screen was not set on wider parameters, so I did not see them. While I do not like the rivet, the Osang mark is recognized as correct and the arrow appears to be correct from the back, so I would join the others and give this one a "thumbs up".

Best,

Harrier

Harrier

Having been collecting for forty years you must have a very impressive collection. I would love to see that as I'm sure others would too. Can you share any of your collection with us here?

Rich

I would love to, but I am technologically challenged and my photo skills are horrible. I will see if one of my children can help me! I have been lucky enough over the years to obtain an example of all but 2 of the 32 clasp combinations. Never have been able to find a really good gold (w/o pendant) or silver long range night fighter. But, as said, I will enlist one of the younger family members this weekend to see what I can do.

Best,

Harrier

I would love to, but I am technologically challenged and my photo skills are horrible. I will see if one of my children can help me! I have been lucky enough over the years to obtain an example of all but 2 of the 32 clasp combinations. Never have been able to find a really good gold (w/o pendant) or silver long range night fighter. But, as said, I will enlist one of the younger family members this weekend to see what I can do.

Best,

Harrier

Actually, of course, there are 40 possible combinations if you differentiate between numbered and "flower" pendants for each clasp, and many more if you take all the possible number sequences!

Actually, of course, there are 40 possible combinations if you differentiate between numbered and "flower" pendants for each clasp, and many more if you take all the possible number sequences!

I hope you are able to post some pics. If you can please do not just limit it to clasps!! :cheers:

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Here I show another pic of the case.

It is a hunter,but not a speciell nighthunter-case.

The nighthunter clasp is given since August 24.1942.

May be the soldiers put the clasp in their old case,like he has done it here.

It is the case and clasp of an knightcrossholder and nighthunterpilot.

student

Edited by student

Just a brief follow-up. I can understand later war-introduced clasps not being seen in cases (by example, I have never seen a cased air-to-ground), but with earlier clasps why wasn't the retailer free to provide what he wished? I have seen night fighter clasps (I remember one very nice one marked RK) in cases I considered authentic (not the pendant version). As a disclaimer, I do not collect cased clasps and do not represent myself as an expert on them, so all I can report is what I have seen over the years that I considered, based on the totality of the circumstances, to be correct.

Francois,

That is a very interesting observation. Why are the ones you listed not cased?

I thought all of these badges could be private purchased from a retail shop.

Best,

Harrier

Well;

Starting from the begining

Only fighters (day), bomber and observer clasps are cased (bronze, silver, gold) - this is a regulation issue

You may want to show a case for another kind of clasp or one with pendant

The ones I am showing arenot cased for the reasons mentioned above

As I said, I do not collect cased clasps. I have seen a cased night fighter and wish I had taken a photo, but I did not.

Are you saying definitively that no retailer ever supplied transport or night fighter clasps

in cases properly marked for them? Again, I do not dispute air-to-ground or clasps with pendants.

Best,

Harrier

As I said, I do not collect cased clasps. I have seen a cased night fighter and wish I had taken a photo, but I did not.

Are you saying definitively that no retailer ever supplied transport or night fighter clasps

in cases properly marked for them? Again, I do not dispute air-to-ground or clasps with pendants.

Best,

Harrier

I am not saying anything definitively as some were issued in envelope or cartoon box - I only share 25+ years of collecting, at the end of the day each concludes for himself.