News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CHINA. WARLORD MEDAL ?

Veteran

Hello everyone

Would anyone have an idea of what this (incomplete) medal might be. I am sorry the reverse seems to lack part of its center.

It is quite large (42mm-22grs) and heavy in what seems to be enameled glit metal (possibly silver, no hallmark found). The enamel finish is very good.

Information will be gratefully received.

Greetings

Veteran

This looks one of many Warlord Period medals and the key will be in the inscription. The missing obverse center probably contained the image of the issuing warlord.

You might look through the OMSA medal data base (http://www.omsa.org/photopost/index.php) to see if anything there matches.

For a little (a lot) more detail, see:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/cn.html

and follow the links.

Anyway, back to the medal . . .

It does look familiar, back in the day when I was weaving (parts of) the M&E sales into the OMSA database (as Jeff suggested) . . . .

So, just to press the point, is the Manchuguo flag similar to or identical to the ROC # 1 flag?

Hugh

Thank you very much, this is great. Seems the medal was a warlord's in the 1910-20s.

Too bad the gent's mug is missing then, which I understand is the case. On the other hand, the finish is impressive, a very pleasant looking medal.

Please give us more as it comes to you.

Very best regards to all of you.

Veteran

Just thought I'd add these to the mix...

I have no idea about either one of these and this one was for sale on the French ebay but the listing was pulled....

Anyway they looked rather similar so perhaps this might help the ID process along..

Cheers

JC

• 2 months later...

Thanks Enzo, I will gladdly settle for your diagosis. Hopefully, a picture of a complete award will possibly pop up some day.

I am most grateful to all contributors.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello everyone

Would anyone have an idea of what this (incomplete) medal might be. I am sorry the reverse seems to lack part of its center.

It is quite large (42mm-22grs) and heavy in what seems to be enameled glit metal (possibly silver, no hallmark found). The enamel finish is very good.

Greetings

Veteran

Enzo is the closest!

The medal is President Xu ShiChang's Inauguration medal. It should be 56 x 43 mm. The chinese characters read "10 October, the seventh year of the Republic of China, the second president Xu ShiChang Inauguration Commemoration Medal" Issued, I believe, in 1918. The missing ribbon is red with white edge stripes 37mm wide.

The reverse shows the two Republic flags joined by a binding rope at the crossing with six sheaves of wheat. The three Chinese characters at the top denote "Commemorative Medal"

Dick

I would post an image from the Mohler Collection but I have dificulties posting on this website.

Hello everyone

Greetings

Veteran

A Photo of the complete medal may be seen on the OMSA Medal Data Base:

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5003

Not really much doubt that it is a modern fake, the majority of them are worthless reproductions, if the person and inscription has any resemblence to the original medal or order it may still help to identify the Warlord though.

Any Chinese speakers around?

Regards Eddie.

Hello everyone

Greetings

Veteran

It is the Commemorative medal for the Inauguration of President Hsu Shih-Chang, October 1918, unfortunately his portrait has gone AWOL (See ANS 3, lot 130) and is perfectly genuine.

Paul

Hello usaforce

Thank you very much for these very demonstrative pictures. This medal is absolutely identical to the one I showed, except of course that it is complete and has its ribbon.

I am very grateful

Best regards

Veteran

• 3 months later...

back

Unfortunately, you have reproduced copyrighted images that were lifted from either the OMSA Medal Database site or from my CD of the Harry Mohler collection. These images can only be used when given the proper attribution.

Richard LaTondre