News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stogieman,

Thanks for that link, and I read it a couple of days ago. From what I know, this bar has passed muster with a lot of long time collectors. With all due respect, I am finding it troubling that it seems lately that nearly every bar with an Austrian award is "questionable". I would be very intereted in hearing some ducumented and or factual evidence concerning these "made up" bars. I am no expert, not by any means but I have collected for a long time. I know that there are crooks that excel in fakery, but it seems lately nearly every bar is becoming suspect. I have even seen a bar or two ripped apart in some postings recently that really made me get that sick feeling in my stomach.

There are a few bars here that were posted, that with out the period photographic evidence supporting their legitimacy, would have been dismissed as fake or bad as the arrangement or combination did not make sense to the collector. So, I guess unless we actually see a bar being made or ALL of the construction teqniques and components are wrong...how do we really know?

No! No! No! Sorry. Not Stijns Falken bar - that is over any doubt.

I meant the bar from #20 with L?beck - that's one of hagekna41's - I hope most know this guy from eBay Germany...

No! No! No! Sorry. Not Stijns Falken bar - that is over any doubt.

I meant the bar from #20 with L?beck - that's one of hagekna41's - I hope most know this guy from eBay Germany...

Hi................. :speechless1: ....................... :cheeky: what a relief. But, the basis of my question still is of interest to me. Medal bars are a fairly new venture in my collecting, and I am genuinely wanting to know more about how we can be sure about bars coming out of Austria. I apologize if I cam across somewhat irritated...because I was after what just happen with the bar on Barry's site. :rolleyes:;)

Edited by A Collector

In my opinion a very big question that requires a bigger answer. Back in 1969 someone in the JOMSA wrote that "Manufacturing imperial German medal bars has become a sort of minor sport these days".

Almost everything I know I've learned from reading Rick and the others here over the past 13 years. A good start is doing a "Medal bar, fake" search on this website. The results are a good three days worth of reading at least, but well worth it.

Bottom Line: The rules were followed with a Germanic passion for exactitude, most of the time. There were exceptions to the rule, but there are enough fakes out there to warrant caution. The way I view these things these days is "prove to me it's real", and work backwards.

There are people out there who can manufacture perfect bars- and some of them are on this website.

Have you seen Rick's ribbon bar article?

In my opinion a very big question that requires a bigger answer. Back in 1969 someone in the JOMSA wrote that "Manufacturing imperial German medal bars has become a sort of minor sport these days".

Almost everything I know I've learned from reading Rick and the others here over the past 13 years. A good start is doing a "Medal bar, fake" search on this website. The results are a good three days worth of reading at least, but well worth it.

Bottom Line: The rules were followed with a Germanic passion for exactitude, most of the time. There were exceptions to the rule, but there are enough fakes out there to warrant caution. The way I view these things these days is "prove to me it's real", and work backwards.

There are people out there who can manufacture perfect bars- and some of them are on this website.

Have you seen Rick's ribbon bar article?

Hi,

I have been reading feverishly on these topics. I have not seen Rick's ribbon bar article, but I will. My personal opinion: It is quite expected for a dishonest rat to doctor and construct for profit, but for someone to label themselves as a "collector" while participating in the removals, additions, and fabrications of ribbon bars and medal bars...is heresy (but that is my opinion). I think real collectors should NOT take it upon themselves to engage in any of the afformentioned degredations, ever. (again, just MY opinion).

Thanks again for the reply. ;)

So . . . avoid e$cam???

No Ed. This is your typical thought on the subject for anything German. My thoughts are that you don't avoid eBay or any other selling site. The important thing is, as with all collecting, that you know your subject and history. Research and learn, that's the basis for knowing what's right from wrong.

At times we all have cock-ups, but we learn to avoid them. E-bay has brought to my collection many nice pieces that I know are true, but before bidding I researched and made sure the item was correct.

My first purchases of Imperial German were on E-bay back in 2001, and they were from a well known senior Mederator that's on this forum. Maybe I was lucky with my first buy's, but that someone was a guiding light for my further collecting themes and knowledge.

By belonging to, and being actively involved in forums such as GMIC, you learn from others and in return pass your experiences on to new collectors. That is what is happening in this thread.

Don't knock it Ed but try to get actively involved instead of trying to disrupting it. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Sorry Gentlemen, but that's one more eCrap bar. Please ask before buying...

Oh s**t, my young heart!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: I read first as well that its about the falcon bar what goes to Steven!!!!!!!!!!

I go and make one vodka and juice to myself after this shock! :catjava:

Anyway, my small collection haven't been even half of that what it is now because GMIC and extra bonus.... all this great information here! :beer: Good work guys!

Oh s**t, my young heart!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: I read first as well that its about the falcon bar what goes to Steven!!!!!!!!!!

I go and make one vodka and juice to myself after this shock! :catjava:

Anyway, my small collection haven't been even half of that what it is now because GMIC and extra bonus.... all this great information here! :beer: Good work guys!

Timo,

:lol: I think my heart actually skipped a few beats when I first read that post!!! I am going to have a shot of vodka (straight up) :speechless: as well...cheers!

Yes indeed, I am much better too ;) .....I think you already know what is in the package... :beer: Give my new birdie a hug for me. :lol:

What a bottle :love:

Now that would really make an interesting hobby...

hello

just to update you I was just on emedals site and that funny noncombat yugoslav-prussian -austrian -what ever

Medal bar is back up for sale at $600.00

so whats this guys deal I was going to pick up a bar or so off this site but I think im going to pass now!!! :violent::speechless1:

hello

just to update you I was just on emedals site and that funny noncombat yugoslav-prussian -austrian -what ever

Medal bar is back up for sale at $600.00

so whats this guys deal I was going to pick up a bar or so off this site but I think im going to pass now!!! :violent::speechless1:

First, I would NOT access the site right now as there is a Trojan virus that has been affecting it for weeks now. I THOUGHT the plague was purged last night, but my Mcafee anti-virus detected it before it did any damage.

On the subject of the bar...I guess his thinking is "prove it"...I don't know. He did tell me that he took the bar in hand and examined it and said that the ribbons and the construction looked original to him.

Edited by A Collector

Have mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just recovered from fainting not once, but twice. The cause of the first episode...I just received the White Falcon bar minutes ago, and could not believe the sheer beauty and quality of this bar. :o

Why twice??

THE HINDENBURG CROSS IS BRONZE :speechless1: ..........AS IN NON-MAGNETIC!!!! I need to lay down, this is all too much. :speechless1::o:love::jumping:

Good that you like it and its arrived safe and sound! :jumping:

What about Hindis.... I am pretty new collector and dont know all the details.... bronze one is rarer then anothers or whats the story with that? :Cat-Scratch: