News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The EK ribbon

don

I have noticed in a few cases where collectors display and show their ek2 without the ribbon.

Why is this?I think the ribbon is part of the award and should be shown with the cross at

all times.When buying this award I would like to also buy the ribbon that came with the

cross if I can

don

I'm curious; how can we be sure the ribbon that came with our Iron Cross 2nd Class is, in fact, the ribbon that originally came with the cross when it was awarded?

Just asking. . .

I like to scan my 2nd Class crosses without the ribbon in order to bring out the rich detail of the cross itself, that is, without the "distraction", in a manner of speaking, of the ribbon. . .

Just my opinion. . .

for evaluating the piece itself, no ribbon. it's almost a distraction.

for displaying - where it will spend the majority of it's life while

in my custody - on a ribbon.

bill's point is well taken. there are just too many oppurtunities

where this piece of ribbon and that piece of ribbon get "crossed".

joe

I can see your point Bill for scanning and such.I am sure a collector such as your self

would have lots of phots of your crosses.I still think the ribbon should be on for display.

The iron cross seems to me to be the main target of removing the ribbon.

I don't see it as much in other awards.Anyone else who has some opinions please jump

in

don :cheers:

Edited by don

Bill, love the packet & ribbon picture. That's a tough one to find. There's several variations of it (oh Marcus??) pretty nifty that of all of the WW2 ribbons, this one was the only one (so far as we know) that came packeted/titled. I have tons of loose ribbons both WW1 & WW2 that were just stuffed in dealer marked envelopes. But even over both world wars, the '39 EK2 is the only one I've seen with its' own little packet!

Thanks, stogieman, but if you only know the lengths (of ribbon?) I had to go to get Joe Campbell to trade me for it. . .

And George, while I'm at it, what's with all the muliple packets of bundled ribbons? Odd, like bunnies, they appear to magically multiply. . .

Edited by Bill Garvy

The ribbon or riband is an integral part of any medal issued with one but I disapprove of the practice of putting a mint riband through the ring of a mint medal that comes in a case or a packet. Call me precious or anal if you like but such an ensemble should surely be displayed as is.

PK

@Don-I know who you mean :D . Some of you have seen the pics of my collection-I'm one of the collectors who display the iron crosses without the ribbon....why? The answer is easy-especially the 1914 EKs came very often just with a little rest of the ribbon-and that makes it hard to display them in propper way.! And the 2nd reason is-I don't want to have my EKs in a frame at the wall....just my 2 cent!

Micha