News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the U.S. Victory medal, it is possible with only the medal, to find out which division a man served in by the bars on the medal. Has any research ever been done like this for the 1870-71 bars? It would be nice to be able to say "This medal bar belonged to a man from the Xth division".

Dan Murphy

Hi Dan,

Ironic that you should ask. Eric Ludvigsen, who died a year ago this week, was working on such a table. Exactly what the status of this project was at the time of his death or it?s present location is, I can not say. I may, however, have a better answer on this matter sometime in the future.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Guest Brian von Etzel

Heiko, if you come up with an extra, I'm looking for this exact combination from someone who fought with my great grandfather. The two tops are Gravette and Vionville.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Nice group! :love:

Has anyone ever seen a double-Danish medal bar, with both the 1848-49 war and 1864 represented?

I know Baden, Bavaria, Braunschweig, Schaumburg-Lippe, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Nassau, Oldenburg, Reuss, Saxony, Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Schleswig-Holstein, Waldeck and W?rttemberg all had service medals or campaign crosses for the first conflict, or at least for Eckernf?rde. Does anyone know of others?

I always assumed, for no good reason, that Prussia's Hohenzollernsche Denkm?nze and Anhalt-Bernburg's Alexander Carl-Denkm?nze were for either the war with Denmark or the suppression of the Revolutions of 1848, or solely for the latter, but I realize I don't actually know.

Guest Rick Research

Per posts 52 and 53-- I've finally retyped and scanned a chart of these bars that I've had since Jimmy Carter was modelling sweaters. I did not note its origin at the time, and have forgotten since because pre-1897 is very peripheral for me-- but I've pinned the list at top of the forum for ready reference:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3794&hl=

I hope this is of use to you 1870 guys!

Hi Ralph,

I don?t know if you have one or not; so I checked the 1865 Hannoverian House and State handbook for a Barenscheer but did not find anything. Of course all that this pretty much indicates is that he probably was not a native Hannoverian; and, as you probably know, many of these Langansalza medals were awarded to non-natives.

It?s always worth a look, you never know. Sorry that we didn?t hit something.

Best wishes,

Wild Card