News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shockworker Badges

Bob

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an interesting datapoint in our quest to disentangle these badges.

To review what we thought we knew up until now:

The "gold-silver-bronze" business is wrong (Battushig agrees 100%) and we have a typology of:

A 61.1/ A 61.2 - Type 1 (mirror reverse, thin silver gilt) - Low = 206/High = 5009

A 61.3 - Type 2 (flat reverse, silvered bronze) - Low = 203/High = 503

Here's a new specimen:

1- While it may not show clearly in the scan, the obverse is silver(ed)-gilt on everything but the cog-wheel.

2- The reverse is silvered bronze, as rough as what we have come to expect from type 2, #715 (a new high)

I can't find my notes on the source of the # 206 data point for type 1 (will look back through this long thread), but I am tempted to suggest that the flatback bronze silvered badge is a revised type 1 (number range 203-715) and the mirror reverse is shifted to type 2 (number range ???-5009). If the #206 can be reexamined and seen to be a flatback, then things clarify and the typology reverses. The new low for the new type 2 (mirror-back) would then be ???? (I have a 1070). If the problem-child,# 206, is, in fact, flatback, then we have problems and the flatback variety becomes an "island" within a mirror-back series.

Will #206 please step forward and identify itself . . . ???

The question of gilt on the cog-wheel remains. While the gilding on these badges is so thin that it often (usually) evaporates or is worn away, careful examination often shows its presence. On most (?) badges, all except the encircling cog-wheel is gilded, but there are reports when it is gilded (and not tarnished). While I'd guess this is just "noise" in the manufacturing process, we may want to peep more closely at our cog-wheels?

OK, going back through the threads, I didn't find # 206, but I did find JC's # 286 in http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5236&st=22 and it is a mirror reverse.

I also found a new flatback high that I had missed in my list in Dolf's # 886 at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5236&st=32 so my new one held the record for a few minutes only.

Tentatively, then, I guess we can count # 206 as a mirror back, leaving things somewhat confused as:

A 61.1/ A 61.2 - Type 1 (mirror reverse) - Low = 206/High = 5009

A 61.3 - Type 2 (flat reverse) - Low = 203/High = 886

Or is the flat reverse merely a variant?

Thoughts??

I think it's probably just a different production run from another factory.

Anyway to confuse things even more here are 269 flatback and 206 mirror reverse (neither of them mine unfortunately)

Jan

Edited by Vatjan

I think it's probably just a different production run from another factory.

Thanks, Jan. My current thinking is completely in agreement with your theory.

We need to be careful not to confuse manufacturing "runs" with real "types". Some things, I know, were made in Hungary, maybe some in East Germany, others in ??? There are non-Mongolian, non-Soviet productions to contend with.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Not sure it is worth scanning the obverse, since we know what they look like by now, but a new arrival and new low datapoint for the mirrorback variety, 180. With nice (original?) МОНЕТНЫЙ ДВОР screwplate. Some gilt remains on the hammer, if you squint real hard.

Giving us:

Type 1 (mirror reverse, thin silver gilt) - Low = 180/High = 5009

Type 2 (flat reverse, silvered bronze) - Low = 16/High = 886

• 4 months later...

By the way, here is a Doc for one of these Udarnik Badges.

Inside view:

Dolf

Great - just received similar doc in the mail (with udarnik with corresponding number, with picture in doc!).

Will scan/post in coming days - further narrows the "timeline" allowing us to have an indicative date on when they were awarded.

As promised, here are several booklets for Udarnik badges and some related documents.

I'm afraid that I don't have the badges to go along with the awarding docs but I'm-a-lookin!!

enjoy....

I'll start off with a rather crudely printed/handwritten "golden word" letter (letter of commendation) from 1956.

Not an award doc, but related.

JC

Edited by fjcp

I have several of these and even though this one doesn't have a date on it, the others are from the late Forties although I'm sure you could all tell that anyway.

Not an award doc. either but it has the usual percentage of "over-work" etc. on it.

Now the exciting stuff!!! (to me)

These two documents are from a larger group of documents that I really should post.

The recipient was a lady called B. Yanjmaa.......Yes I got all excited too but this person is way too young and although there is a certain resemblance it isn't THE Yanjmaa...

Either way it is an interesting set of 12-15 documents that I'll post separately a little later.

JC

Looks like you've held some things back for us:)

The award doc dated 21-12-49, what number Udarnik was it for (indicated right above the date)?

Here is mine: Udarnik badge 3049 with correspondingly numbered award doc.

Giving us now this time frame:

Udarnik 2,203 31/10/1947

Udarnik 3,049 28/12/1951

Edited by Bob

Great looking set you have there Bob... Too bad I don't have the badges to go with the docs.. Well the search is on!!

The best I can do is a picture of the lady above wearing her udarnik and a ribbon bar for what looks like the order of combat valour and something I can't make out....

Seems a little unusual to me but I might be wrong.

JC