News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bonaparte Commits Suicide..............

Mervyn Mitton

Modern communications are a way of life for us in 2012 - however, think back 196 years and it was really very

different.

For news to reach England from France or, Belgium, required despatch riders to gallop to the Coast and then embark on a ship to cross the Channel. From there other riders had the intense journey to London. There is little wonder therefore, when

gossip and speculation took over and filled the papers.

The Morning Post was an important London newspaper - and at 6 1/d pence was an expensive luxury. Only Clubs and

well to do Households could afford a newspaper - and it must also be remembered that the majority of the people were

illiterate. Thhis was in the days when Town Cryers still shouted important news at street corners. Note the red stamp

in the right corner - this was a Govt. Duty mark.

More often then not - they got it wrong - and this is such an article. Still interesting and just part of our history.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2012/post-6209-0-29722100-1354549274.jpgclick

• 4 months later...

Interesting stuff

Lots of chariots for sale - can't see if there is a GT bladed wheels model for sale - one lady owner. What about the article where a lady was accosted by a man wearing a long false beard and mustachios - was it Christmas?

:lol:

And of course there is all that nonsense which surfaced several decades ago now about his 'murder'. That was based, I recall, on an analysis of some of the many locks of hair he gave people as remembrances of him, which were found to have a high arsenic content. The explanation, of course, is that arsenic was used as a treatment for stomach ailments.

I can't imagine why anyone would think the British government would be stupid enough to... Ok, never mind that. :whistle:I personally don't think the British government, in this instance, was stupid enough to poison him, based on the international fall out if, as it inevitably would have, the news had leaked out. Anfd it wasn't as if it was costing them a lot to keep him down there, in the over all scheme of things.

Nope, he just died!

Edited by peter monahan

I think the Weider theory was that the Bourbons had Boney murdered by hiring Montholon to do the deed. I am not as contemptuous of the theory as you are. But I recall that the more popular of the 2 books done by the proponents of the theory was rather full of holes - classic case of presenting only evidence that supports your case.

Colin

I heard a very interesting radio show, where the scientist had actually found a piece of the wallpaper from Napoleon's room, which apparently was high in arsenic, and in St. Helena's damp climate, prone to releasing it.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v299/n5884/abs/299626a0.html

http://users.physics.harvard.edu/~wilson/arsenic/Image_Makeover1.htm

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that a very popular shade of green paint, particularly common in Victorian nurseries was also full of arsenic!

Do remember that these were the same people who used mercury salts to cure syphilis, with particularly intractable cases getting the 'Vienna treatment": feed it to him till he starts to drool and get the shakes, then stop. With luck the mercury will kill marginally fewer brain cells than the disease. Talk about a Pyric victory!