News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

These 3 little buggers were attatched to the KM cap (remnants of it) and in exactly the same pit, together with remnants of the uniform, the u-boat badge and U-boat clasp were found hence I assume that the cap also belonged to the u-boat crewman. I do not think these tiny badges stand for any specyfic u-boat or flotilla but the fact is these were attached to the cap for some reason. 

Cheers,

Hubert

I did a research and the left one stands for the code of arms of the city of Brest and the one in the middle for the city of La Rochelle. A bristling cat is very common motif used by u-boat crews.

Cheers,

Hubert

Brestfr.jpg

516px-Blason_de_La_Rochelle.jpg

• Replies 240
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the guy with the cap is modelled after the man in the following video:

Second 32...you will see the silhouette of the guy. This can hardly be coincidence but maybe it is. Their noses are practically the same. The drawing is from Gastebuch/Guestbook of the 4. U-Flottille. The colored badge is mine.

336858942_Schermafbeelding2019-02-09om23_48_36.thumb.png.3547962e25fb5346e0dd8e07ec53a73b.pngimage.png.279a4aa765d23fefa4048332bf43798d.png336858942_Schermafbeelding2019-02-09om23_48_36.thumb.png.3547962e25fb5346e0dd8e07ec53a73b.png

image.png.b959ef36187377134aaf0c775940dfd2.png

Found this one a militaria website not long ago, but they were puzzled as to which u-boat(s) it belonged to. I reckon that the upper part of this tradition badge made them overlook the lower part, which actually does appear in Georg Högel's U-Boat Emblems in World War II.

In terms of warfare action these boat aren't that appealing, but nonetheless they were u-boots of ww2. It has no provenance going for it at all, I do agree, but my instinct says it's the real McCoy. I would like to know more about it, so please come forward if you have more info on this boat, or any other mentioned above. What do you think? Is this the same whale emblem, albeit shaped somewhat naïve? I for one have no doubt about it, but I am sincerely biased. ?Show your KM Cap Badges!

Edited by IJSBEER

• 4 months later...
    On 28/06/2019 at 03:57, NOR_collector said:

Hi.

I got this U-968 cap badge from Thomas Huss not long ago.
    Does anyone have any pictures of this type of badge is use?
    What is your opinion on the badge?

Thanks
    Regards,
    André

1.jpg

2.jpg

How much did you pay for it? Please, first answer this question, before reading below.

When  I say that it "looks pretty authentic"  it will always comes with a reserve for when it comes to non-enameled badges one should always be prepared to realize that one is dealing with fakes. I for one would  buy yours for 500 Euro as it is, but an enameled badge (harder to fake and easier to recognize as a fake)  I would easily pay 1250,- for. These are the prices you will have to pay for cap badges of ww2 u-boat crews. I only do pay 1250 Euro's for the ones I believe are genuinely real.  This is why conning tower pictures are doing so well on E-bay these days: surplus evidence.

Edited by IJSBEER

• 2 weeks later...

I paid EUR 450,- for the cap badge. I have done business with Thomas for many years and he knows that if he sell me any fakes then I will stop doing business with him. Hopefully he will honor his reputation more than money. As you say it is really difficult or even impossible to tell originals from fakes when it comes to the handmade cap badges and I only buy from what IMO is reliable sources. I only have one enamel cap badge in my collection which is the 9th unterseebootsflottille and I have 4 handmade cap badges from U-178, U-404, U-802 and U-968. I have collected kriegsmarine for many years, but I just started collecting cap badges like a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 20/01/2019 at 14:30, IJSBEER said:

Erik,

I think this specific paper folded boat does show the emblem of U-3003/U-3013  (see attached picture). I merely wonder as to what the words "Edit Ihrens" mean. Is it a woman's name? 

image.png

one week ago I stumbled upon this cap badge, 4 days too late for my personal gain, because it was already sold. It, however, reminded me of the cap badge that dedehansen had once posted in this forum. They look very similar, but this one has a pin on its flipside, 

image.png.d2b70e29983ff257e51bb3ae6fec9187.png

Thanks for the information on the traditions design for U-3003/U-3013! Here is a U-653 plaque I obtained from Funkmeister Kupfermann's estate.

U-653 Plaque.jpg

• 1 month later...
    On 28/07/2019 at 19:20, Erik Krogh said:

Thanks for the information on the traditions design for U-3003/U-3013! Here is a U-653 plaque I obtained from Funkmeister Kupfermann's estate.

U-653 Plaque.jpg

Is this plaque "post-war" or "at-war"? I have similar plaques but I have to admit that this one is looking slightly more entertaining than mine.

If you ever grow tired of it, you'll know the right buyer.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 26/01/2019 at 23:07, IJSBEER said:

I take back whatever I said about those French insignia. I found out rather late that certain crew on U-107 wore a both bronze and enameled "Bretagne" coat of arms badge on their caps in addition to the usual four aces emblem. KK Hessler's stuff, I believe it was, recently came up for sale partially and in sat this most wonderful oxidized bronze badge (see attached pictures). Lorient, where the U-107 was stationed, is a city in Bretagne, France,  and surely the crew must have grown attached to hat place somewhat as it was basically their third home (taken the U-boat second). In that context I think it not unlikely that other u-boat crew adopted similar French coat of arms. Btw, I am craving U-107 original photographs. If you can't sell them, then at least post them.

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-27 om 23.47.30.png

• 3 weeks later...
    On 18/11/2011 at 21:42, Peter BL said:

And finally the Emblem for U-3024 (not the 1st U-Flott )

I think that this (!) pinguin is not the emblem for the Elektroboot U-3024. I know of a U-3024 booklet out there with a sketch of the emblem of this U-boot and it looks kinda like this but actually more like Georg Hogel's depiction of it on page 180 of "U-Boat emblems..." than the one below. Hogel's book only says that the conning tower emblem had a blue background. The cap emblem, as compared to the conning tower, often does not feature these elaborate details. I recently obtained a badge online that might shed new light on the matter. It looks authentic to me, but then again, I could also have been another sucker lead to believe...For only 150 euro's I don't think I was sold a Pig in a Poke, but who knows. 

post-3147-0-59116900-1321662549.jpg

image.thumb.png.a4f1753fdc206e7ce7ec23c8027653cb.pngimage.thumb.png.6ff913251f1e0849d8f408042337e808.png

• 1 month later...
    On 27/01/2019 at 00:05, IJSBEER said:

dimage.png.1c4ac399a3bb98a838208be6364f7462.png

Is this a real 5. U-Flottille badge? Or perhaps merely aged? The badge itself 

is copper so I think it is real, but do modern hoaxers shy away from the real?

Despite the fact that I myself posted it, this badge is probably a faked one, dropped in acid or whatever witch's brew to make it look old. Self-correcting asshole, moi. Et Vous, Es-Tu Normal?

• 2 months later...
    • 4 years later...

I saw this stickpin on ebay for sale as original.  Any thoughts as to authenticity?  Originals were handmade so I'm not sure. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

ORIG' WWII WW2 GERMAN NAVAL U-BOAT CREW MEMBER U-201 STICK PIN "SNOWMAN w/ BROOM - Picture 1 of 12ORIG' WWII WW2 GERMAN NAVAL U-BOAT CREW MEMBER U-201 STICK PIN "SNOWMAN w/ BROOM - Picture 2 of 12ORIG' WWII WW2 GERMAN NAVAL U-BOAT CREW MEMBER U-201 STICK PIN "SNOWMAN w/ BROOM - Picture 6 of 12