News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leib Regiment Tunic...... Suffering to save.....

OK, the condition is terrible......l1.JPGl2.JPGl3.JPGl4.JPGl5.JPGl6.JPGl7.JPGl8.JPGl9.JPG

OK, I usually avoid anything with moth damage, but I saw this on auction and added up what I would have paid for the silver Gefreiter buttons, the shoulder straps and the Silver Leib Regt buttons.... then I got the set for a bit less than that. EUR161.

The hat is conpletely toast... my planning is... the hat is going to have to take one for the team... there is enough cloth there to do some decent repair work.

My plan is to get some micro thin blue silk, darn the tiny holes in the tunic, then use bits of cloth from the hat to underlay the bigger holes in the tunic and darn the pieces in.

I think it will end up as quite presentable to display with my flag. At some stage i will get a better one, but this will be acceptable once finished.

• 1 month later...

Very nice tunic.is that a Bavarian Schützenschnur?

i have a question that wonder how many know the answer. When did soldiers stop wearing the dress blue uniform? There was no other dress uniform prior to the Friedensrock. Was the prewar dress still allowed after the Friedensrock of 1915?

12 minutes ago, ccj said:

Very nice tunic.is that a Bavarian Schützenschnur?

i have a question that wonder how many know the answer. When did soldiers stop wearing the dress blue uniform? There was no other dress uniform prior to the Friedensrock. Was the prewar dress still allowed after the Friedensrock of 1915?

From what i see, the Blue uniforms were still worn by recruits in training. I have seen 1917 photos of bavarian Jäger recruits still wearing the Blue tunics. I guess the Field Grey and Friedensrock were not availible to all. Check these pics out.... http://www.kaiserscross.com/69501/517101.html

• 4 months later...

Nice tunic ! It looks as a private purchased one , gabardine cloth of wool , and not the tuch of troopers . good idea that of mend interweaving silk yarn . but if you are decided to no save the mutze . is better to obtain the yarn of the mutze cloth unweaving the thread with care . remember not use hot water in the process Never . perhaps an old aunt or granny is able to help you .Good luck .

• 5 months later...