News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslav Air Force Breitling Navitimer 2100

The watch belonged to Yugoslav Air Force Pilot, unfortunately it doesn't work. It seems that Breitling delivered watches with some kind of defect as most of them I've seen so far, and I've seen at least a dozen, don't work. I found information that some of them stopped working after first battery replacement. Anyway they were produced between 1980 and 1985 and have ESA Y2 900.231 movement, model is also known as Pluton. You can see pilots' wings and RV i PVO (Air Force and Anti-Air Defence) inscription on the case back. 
    01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG

Edited by paja

• 5 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Its been a while for me but just wanted to say what beautiful timepieces the movement inside is a bit over designed for the time and harder to maintain but still a wonderful example of the early quartz movements. 

According to information a fellow collector shared with us on another forum you supposedly had to use plastic tweezers or some other tool during the battery replacement avoiding all contact between the battery and the mechanism itself. Is that really true or not I can't say but I've heard stories like that before...

Before Breitling Yugoslav pilots were using Zenith Cal. 143-6 and Heuer 1550SG. 
    A friend of mine inherited Heuer and I had photos of it but unfortunately I can't find them. 
    Pilots of the Army of Yugoslavia/Army of Serbia & Montenegro and Army of Serbia were and I think still use some of the Citizen's Blue Angels models! Some of the models I've seen have pilots' wings (FRY era type) engraved on the clasp.

8 hours ago, paja said:

According to information a fellow collector shared with us on another forum you supposedly had to use plastic tweezers or some other tool during the battery replacement avoiding all contact between the battery and the mechanism itself. Is that really true or not I can't say but I've heard stories like that before...

Yes it is true, but that is how you have to replace most quartz pieces' batteries. Especially vintage as it can sometimes get picky in changing them. Metal tools can short the battery, it causes an electrostatic discharge and cause the connection to be terminated, necessitating a new movement :( That doesn't mean we can pick up any old plastic tweezers, they have to be electrostatic discharge safe. Plastic itself can also cause a discharge depending on what it has been mixed with to produce it.

So no fingers, or metal tools. Good watchmaking plastic tweezers.

Plastic or Bamboo tweezers (I've always used plastic), there are guys that change them with gloves (handling them with gloves) but I'd avoid doing that, if your hand is too large it will knock something out or worse squish your battery.

My previous reply very nicely illustrates how much of a watch expert am I :speechless: 
    Because that's a common procedure and considering just how much of them aren't working properly I presume they have other issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Last few not-working ones I saw were in the 100-200 EUR range (prices in Serbia). I still regret not getting one with 100 EUR price tag as it was in very good shape with original box and instructions manual, but alas, someone was quicker.

3 hours ago, paja said:

Last few not-working ones I saw were in the 100-200 EUR range (prices in Serbia). I still regret not getting one with 100 EUR price tag as it was in very good shape with original box and instructions manual, but alas, someone was quicker.

IF you find one of thoes broken ones please contact me. 

Edited by nero13

• 11 months later...

interesting examples!

Breitling is known for making numerous customized watches for national airforce units and teams. Although they normally paint national logo on the dial of the watch.

I am curious why watches were not sent back and serviced by Breitling? It looks like serious defect, such high grade watch should be able to handle battery replacement. 

Edited by new world

Sadly the original owner of the watch I presented in this topic passed away so I can't ask him. If I remember well the story was they couldn't be replaced because of the breakup of SFRY and everything else that followed.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 years later...