News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe medical Lieutenant Hat and coat

• 2 weeks later...

Cap is actually for an officer candidate, as all Luftwaffe officers had silver piping on their dress caps, save generals, who had all gold insignia & piping.

It was common for nco officer candidates to upgrade their arm of service caps, here blue for medical, with officer's bullion badges and silver chincord & side buttons.

These officer candidate caps do seem to be quite scarce; I cannot recall seeing one for sale in many years.

Thanks for your comment. I believe this set came from the same man and this set was a local vet bring back. Would i be right in thinking that the blue piping on the cap and the officer/ Lieutenant shoulder boards would give the rank of senior officer candidate? maybe a Doctor or a surgeon? 

• 3 weeks later...
    On 11/11/2016 at 13:03, bluesteel said:

Thanks for your comment. I believe this set came from the same man and this set was a local vet bring back. Would i be right in thinking that the blue piping on the cap and the officer/ Lieutenant shoulder boards would give the rank of senior officer candidate? maybe a Doctor or a surgeon? 

Blue piping is the arm of service color for the Luftwaffe Medical branch; no direct correlation to officer candidate rank insignia.

The shoulder boards are for rank of leutnant; perhaps the owner wore his branch piped cap for some time after being commissioned. Officially, he should have an all silver piped cap.

Very nice cap; LW officer candidate caps are quite scarce, especially with the bullion insignia.

Thanks for all your positive comments guys. They make complete sense and its great for me to hear your opinions. 

I feel the iconic greatcoat is sometimes rather unappreciated and although its not got a maker tag in it, it is made very well and is of fine quality. I used some warm water and saddle soap on it  recently and its come up very well, the leather has become more supple and its kept its distinctive blue/ grey colour. I was interested to find out that the left cuff only is made to act as a pocket for letters and papers. For convenience you could place them in the cuff with your right hand.

Thanks again for your comments.

• 1 year later...
    • 4 months later...
    On 26/01/2018 at 00:09, Bob Lyons said:

Here are a couple of Luftwaffe Medical piped OR/NCO visor caps, blue top and white top versions to add to this thread....

Medical cap 001.jpg

Medical cap 005.jpg

Medical cap 006.jpg

Luftwaffe Medical white top visor cap 001.jpg

Luftwaffe Medical white top visor cap 003.jpg

medical white top NCO cap 006.jpg

Bob, those are just fantastic caps, especially the white top...!!

Thanks for showing.

Those are awesome.  I would love to have some visor caps for my collection, but I move around so much that they will inevitably be crushed... :-(   The blue-gray visor is beautiful.