News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Saudi Arabia

Guest Hashemite

And inside. While I can find no maker's mark, this is clearly NOT the nasty unofficial US-made variety. I'd guess it is official and from the Huguenin (Le Loche, Switzerland) batch of 385,000 (and not from Spink of London, who made the same number).

• 1 month later...

Naval Forces Medal.

Instituted: 20 March 1971 by King Faisal ibn Abdulaziz.

Awarded: To naval personnel to reward outstanding bravery or recognize meritorious actions and to base commanders after five years of service in command.

3rd Class (Bronze) Medal:

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ed. You are corect in naming it Security Medal. I have today been informed on another forum that it is the Security Medal, one of a series of 12 maedals instituted by the KSA in 1987. An estimated 100,000 being manufactured (ref. article in JOMSA Vol56 #1 2005) Medal manufactured under contract in the UK by the medalists Thomas Fattorini. Principally an award for Saudi Military and Civil personnel it could also be awarded to nominated allied personnel.

Regards,

Jm Morrison.

Good evening from Riyadh,

As far as I am aware both from viewing regulations and day to day observance of the Saudi military in uniform the only medals specific to any particular service are the Air Falcon, Naval Forces and Military Appreciation medals to the Air Force, Navy, and Army (inc. National Guard). All other Saudi awards are open to one and all. As a general observation obtaining Saudi awards in Kingdom is nigh impossible - in almost 18 years I have come across next to nothing available in the local souks - even the unofficial military tailors do not supply. (Ditto Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar & UAE. ) Two key issues here - the first being the relative newness of the award series and thus most recipients are still serving so no need for descendants to sell and secondly security issues. Secondly until the bombings in 2004 militaria was freely available at the numerous military outfitters but subsequently it has become extremely difficult to obtain anything. Indeed I am still trying to obtain a specimen of the recently instituted Hajj Service Medal which appears to have been widely awarded. On another tack the Centenary Medal illustrated above is the actual issue - the example illustrated in my JOMSA article is, I believe, a rejected UK manufactured proof and I have recently obtained a correct issue. I have been unable to ascertain why some foriegners were awarded this medal and not others - I know of one senior RAF Officer who has the medal, but I also know of a number of attached British service personnel who did not receive it - perhaps being in the right place with the right time at the right time assists!

To date all KSA awards have been manufactured out of Kingdom - the senior orders and merit medals mentioned above by Bertrand in Paris and the other medals by Huguenin, Spink and Fattorini and in the case of the Liberation of Kuwait medal various US manufacturers. Interestingly I have obtained a number of reject samples of a local company's attempt to manufacture Saudi medals - they have some way to got to get the business in future.

Hope this is of interest,

Regards to all,

Owain

Owain,

Interesting post. I worked for a while in Riyadh 26 years ago. Even then it was difficult to find anything in the souks and the unofficial tailors were reluctant to sell to "Kawagers" (I think that is what we were called. Forgotten a lot of the Arabic that I knew) So things have not really changed all that much medal -wise in the kingdom!

Thanks for the input and information.

Regards,

Jim Morrison.

• 1 year later...

Hello Gentlmen,

Just to mention about Saudi Arabia Naval Medal.

It's a 3 classes awards,but when it's the 2nd class medal (here on the left side),the medal is silvered and also the palm tree with crossed sabre must be silvered too.

On 1st class medal (on the right side),the medal is gilded and the palm tree with sabre on ribbon must be gilded too.

Actually those medal are often found without their ribbon,and it's not so easy to get them from their manufacturer (Arthus Bertrand).

Reverse is blank.

Emmanuel

• 2 months later...

Hello gentlemen,

I got some plastic-boxes with the logo of saudi arabia.

In two different sizes.

I think they are for ribbonbars and maybe for miniatures.

Does somebody knew a few more?

I like to swap them.

The foto is very bad. But the boxes are pretty new. If you leave me your e-mail-adress I will provide you a better picture.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

Antonio, The ribbons are differentiated by the colour of the embroidery of the palm and crossed swords - yellow (gold), grey (silver) and brown (bronze) - the one you illustrate is the Third Class and the Arabic on the certificate I can see confirms this. Kind regards, Owain

• 10 months later...

Dear Ilja, From my notes, Regards, Owain

Instituted in April 1987 and awarded for:

• Displaying distinguished leadership during combat or security operations.
    • Professional command and control during combat operations.

• 1 year later...

Likewise, but it's a useful start. Ilja, I have some dates and terms of award on my site although the names are slightly different. I'll probably change them to the English version as given on the site Antonio found, as they ought to know the correct translations!