News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Following is a paraphrased post from the Imperial German section.

I thought that some of you might enjoy a brief report on the OMSA convention which was held last week. For Soviet collectors, considering what is available for the market, it was a very good gathering. Igor and Dmitri led the parade with a considerable number of other dealers and collectors close behind. Throughout the bourse, there were still many other pieces pretty much on a ?here and there? basis.

A digression, if I may. This was my twenty-fifth OMSA convention; and I would like to present an observation. Out of thirty years of collecting, I have been collecting Soviet for only ten; and although it has been an ongoing process, the change in Soviet dealers really struck me this year. No longer are the medals and orders scattered among the Matrioshka dolls, vodka flasks and Lenin order watches; but now we see them displayed properly and with pride and knowledge. Of course, the shoe boxes full of Red Banners and Red stars do have to be missed.

But for the benefit of those of you who have never attended an OMSA convention, especially those who are just getting started in Soviet collecting, I cannot strongly enough urge you to do so. Not only does it give you a chance to see and study pieces that you may not ever see again, but it gives you an opportunity to discuss them, and of course any others, with some of the most knowledgeable people in the business; all of whom I have found to be most accommodating and even eager to share their experience. Naturally, this also presents the opportunity to establish relationships with these people which can come in very handy in the future in that if they know what you are looking for.

One last point is that there is nothing like actually seeing and handling an item. I bought two items, one Imperial German and one Mongolian (see below), both of which I had seen before on the net; and although mildly interested in both, actually seeing and handling did me in. Any of you who are familiar with ?Mongolian? enamel know that photographs seldom, if ever do it justice. I was astounded when I actually saw several of the Mongolian pieces first hand; it was hard to believe that they were the same pieces that I had just been looking at on the dealer?s web page.

Consider it and best wishes,

Wild Card

My new friend from OMSA, thanks Igor. No Matter how good the photo is, I know that it will not do this enamel justice.

Nice one. And you are right about the enamel!

:beer:

Number?

You may want to glance at the appropiate thread at the #1 site on Mongolian awards:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5058

Just over next door! :P

Guest Rick Research

I personally :blush: fondled Ed's badge before it went to live at his house, so I share your mutual :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

Those Moscow Enamel Buddies did the best work!!!!! :beer: