News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian State Security

Bob

An area of interest that I hope to be expanding my collection on in the near future. Right now, only 3 items from me:

- Distinguished Co-Worker of the State Security Service (type 5: state security; honorary badge) - D05 - unnumbered

- 60 years of State Security Organization (D10)

- 80 years of State Security Organization (D12) - made out of 3 pieces but by far not as nice

Soon I'll also have a D03a to post here.

Would love to see additions (with photographs!) from others so we can get a complete overview.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

Another view of a D03a. The numbering/awarding sequence is making me think these were made as one batch. Then disbursed over a very extended period of time as the numbers/dates don't seem to really coordinate well. Glenn's example is a very low number but the award book was 1973! I think we have a "reach in the box and whatever comes out" situation. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

All appear to have been made in the Moscow Artist's Collaberative.

Guest Rick Research

That's a D-03b, I believe-- gilt rays up top being the ONLY "difference" that I can see in the Battushig book--

and the old outdated state crest in the center, "MTX" silver "916" hallmarks and looped screw disk are ALL indications that ALL of these badges were apparently MADE in 1940-41 and handed out ever so slowly in all the long decades since! The D-03a and D-03b badges are pre-WW2 manufacture! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

--and the old outdated state crest in the center, "MTX" silver "916" hallmarks and looped screw disk are ALL indications that ALL of these badges were apparently MADE in 1940-41 and handed out ever so slowly in all the long decades since! The D-03a and D-03b badges are pre-WW2 manufacture!

Rick

Could you elaborate a little on what you know about these (and other russian/soviet) hallmarks and their respective timeframe.

Collectrussia has this info, for one of the Military Valour Orders he has for sale, but it remains a bit vague for me:

"Reverse shows "Kokoshnik" hallmark and Moscow sterling silver hallmark (Delta with Kokoshnik and "84"). Also shows Cyrillic maker mark "VKhTM" of Vhutemas Workshop. The hallmarks assure that 1926 is the year of manufacture. The order was instituted in 1926 and coincidentally, old Imperial Russian "Kokoshnik" hallmarks were replaced with the new Soviet ones the same year. "

Thanks

Jan

Edited by vatjan

Guest Rick Research

I don't know about that other 1920s jeweller, but the "tsarist type" hallmarks do not seem to have been used AFTER World War 2.

"MTX" does not seem to have survived WW2--

has anybody ever seen anything ELSE that "MTX" made except from the 1940-41 period? My own suspicion is that MTX was renamed and became the prolific and far less by quality products "Pobeda" company, simply from the Moscow location and number of enamelled badges they made.

The Mongolian state crest on these never changed from the old Uighur script, despite the changes on Polar stars,

the round "spin ears" on the disks went out of style at this pre-WW2 time and have never appeared on any other badges since, etc.

I've never seen these silver hallmarks on anything after WW2-- has anybody else?

Everything seems to indicate that a really "huge" batch of THESE badges was made before WW2, with so many left over that they were still being handed out in 1973 (as shown by the badge and book set above)...

long after MTX had gone out of business... at least AS "MTX."