News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet awards to Mongolian leaders

Ed_Haynes

In the absence of any other information, let me ask if anyone knows ANYTHING about the details of Soviet awards to prominent Mongolians, specifically:

D. Sukhbaatar

RSFSR Red Banner (March 1922 -- believed to be today in the national museum in Ulanbaatar, but details presently unavailable)

K. Choibalsan

Suvorov 1st class (8 September 1945)

Lenin (before 1943)

Lenin (after 1945)

RSFSR Red Banner (March 1922)

USSR Red Banner (before 1940)

S. Magsarjav

RSFSR Red Banner (March 1922)

Y. Tsedenbal

Kutuzov, 1st class (8 September 1945)

Lenin

Lenin

October Revolution

G. Demid

Red Banner (before 1937, of course)

J. Lkhagvasuren

Suvorov, 2nd class (8 September 1945)

October Revolution

Red Star

Twenty other awards to senior officers, 8 September 1945. Details elusive.

Since some don't read across the fora, I am also posting this in the Soviet forum.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10330

Apologies for duplication.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I recall somebody on either this forum or soviet-awards.com had a Soviet hero star awarded to a Mongolian in his possession.

I suspect that was the sole Mongolian "guest cosmonaut" and I doubt it is in anyone's possession (except his). Information, please, Bob??

Strangely, for such a good friend, Choibalasan never got a HSU. Maybe he just died too early? And, for all the doo-dads he made up to give Brezhnev, Tsedenbal never got one either. How's THAT for gratitude?!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Choibalsan also got the 20th anniversary of the red army medal, victory over Japan, victory over Germany, and the 15th anniv of the cheka badge.

In Dr B's book we can see Mongolian hero Guulin with a ORS and an OOR and some assorted medals, Hero Tumurbaatar with an ORS.

Posthumous hero and former Defese Minister Lkhagvasuren also has an ORS + some medals

Jan

Edited by Vatjan

Thanks, Jan. I hadn't bothered with the unnumbered/untraceable medals, in any case there'd be no end to that. I also hadn't gone into the lower level "herors" (how odd it feels to write that). Had I done that, I could also add the vodka-drinking truck-driving unnamed hero on p. 28, with his Lenin.

I probably should have included Lkhagvasuren's ORS and have edited the list above accordingly.

My (unfulfilled) hope was to add some enlightenment on the high-end Soviet orders (Suvorov, Kutuzov), but the silence has been deafening. Thanks for the help, Jan!

Thanks, Jan. I hadn't bothered with the unnumbered/untraceable medals, in any case there'd be no end to that. I also hadn't gone into the lower level "herors" (how odd it feels to write that). Had I done that, I could also add the vodka-drinking truck-driving unnamed hero on p. 28, with his Lenin.

You are right of course, I'm such a list maniac, that sometimes I don't know when to stop :blush::beer:

My (unfulfilled) hope was to add some enlightenment on the high-end Soviet orders (Suvorov, Kutuzov), but the silence has been deafening. Thanks for the help, Jan!

Isn't there a book that lists all the Suvorov order recipients ?

Anyway, another interesting thread Ed, I'll do some digging.

Jan

Isn't there a book that lists all the Suvorov order recipients ?

That's what I thought. In Russian. This is why I posted this here and in our Soviet forum too. The silence over there is deafening.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that was the sole Mongolian "guest cosmonaut" and I doubt it is in anyone's possession (except his). (...)

According to the collective research we made at www.soviet-awards.com, the Mongolian cosmonaut Major General Gurragcha Zhugderdemidiyn has been awarded an HSU on 30 March 1981.

Its SN could be #11454, but this is not confirmed.

Ch.

List above corrected. I wonder if Lkhagvasuren's Suvorov (also 1st class?) was also of 8 September 1945?

The cosmonaut Gurragchaa Soviet hero star (and Lenin) was part of the usual space flight guest reciprocity, although Mongolia tended to shower hero stars on Soviet cosmonauts (five of them, plus Tereshkova's labor hero!). Presumably, Ganzorig got a routine Lenin as the back-up guest cosmonaut?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The decree of Presidium of a Supreme Soviet of the USSR from March, 30, 1981 for successful realization of the international space flight and the courage shown at it and heroism to citizen MNR Gurragchaa appropriates a rank of the Hero of Soviet Union with delivery of order Lenin and medals " the Gold Star " (? 11454).

After homecoming the first Mongolian cosmonaut has been appointed by the assistant manager an administrative department of Central Committee MNRP, having worked in this post till 1989.

In 1984 Z.Gurragche appropriates a military rank of general - major MNA.

The next years the brave subjugator of space was one of heads of the national space program, the high post of Minister of Defence ?NR held.

Since March, 2005 - the National Hero of Mongolia Z.Gurragcha - the deputy of the Great state hural of Mongolia from ?NRP. Lives in the city of Ulan Bator.

It is awarded with order Lenin, Mongolian award Suhe-Batore, medals. The Hero of the Mongolian National Republic.

I suspect that was the sole Mongolian "guest cosmonaut" and I doubt it is in anyone's possession (except his). Information, please, Bob??

Strangely, for such a good friend, Choibalasan never got a HSU. Maybe he just died too early? And, for all the doo-dads he made up to give Brezhnev, Tsedenbal never got one either. How's THAT for gratitude?!

http://www.soviet-awards.com/digest/umurdi..._returned_3.htm

Not as Mongolian as you'd like... but close.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading (in "spare time") through the History of the Mongolian People's Republic (USSR Academy of Sciences/MPR Academy of Sciences, 1973), I have found a few extra data points, added above. I expect to find more.

The book, by the way, is really worth getting and reading. Highly recommended! Has been reprinted by the University Press of the Pacific, ISBN 0-89875-035-0. Delightfully nostalgic ideology in places: "Marxism-Leninism teaches that not every revolutionary situation leads to a revolution. . . ."

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The same book (p. 380) shows September 1945 awards:

Suvorov 1 - Marshal Kh. Choibalsan

Kutozov 1 - Lieutenant General Yu. Tsedenbal

Suvorov 2 - Lieutenant General Lhhagvasuren

". . . other USSR orders to a further twenty distinguished officers of the MPRA . . ." among them:

Major General Damdinkha

Major General Erendo

Colonel Nyantaisuren

I'd LOVE to see THAT ukaz!!

Corrections and expansions entered above.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 7 months later...

Wrong thread, but nevertheless nice to see this... look at the number of Mongolian awards this guy got:

- 3 SB's

- 1 hero star

Pic was hanging in the Kalach-on-Don regional museum outside of Volgograd. A wall with all local guys who made it big during the GPW.

That's Army-General Issa Aleksandrovich Pliev, during the Battle of Stalingrad a Major-General. He commanded the 3rd Guards Cavalry Corps from July until December 1942.

According to the following topic he received his Hero Star on 7 May 1971 together with a Sukhbaatar, and his Polar Star in 1938. No idea when he got the other two Sukhbaatar's.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3571

Interesting, even though this is a Mongolian award to a Soviet, rather than a Soviet award to a Mongolian (the thread).

I have some doubts about his three Sukhbaatars, but the rolls will reveal all.

His hero was 5 July 1971 (same day as Konev and Sudets got theirs). And here he is from that series on heroes: