News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Official NSDAP photo book pictures

Hello club,

I finally got a chance to scan a few interesting items that I have had for a while (before heading out to wedding number 3 of the summer! It's been a vagabond year), some official party pictures that were used in propaganda books for the civilians. These books were kind of like the "sticker books" of today when you bought the books of say sports or toys, and then collect the individual stickers and attach them to your book. The gentleman I bought these from had the entire "Deutschland Erwache!" book with every photo attached. and I may be able to purchase it if the price is fair. All of my photos come from volume 8, "Deutschland Erwache" and volume 15, "Adolf Hitler." The pictures all have a detailed write up of the picture and are very thorough. I will do my best to get the main idea of each pic but if anyone can add something I may have missed, please help out. Also, if anyone has more to add on this type of book please do!

The first photo I will show is my favourite with what I think are Panzer 1's, very small tanks, but they do look fun to drive.

Cheers,

Pat

Here is the back of the tank pic, with official numbering and credit to official photographer Heinrich Hoffmann. Any help on the translation of the back is great on this one. These first pics are all 5" x 7" size.

Cheers,

Pat

Next up in the 5 x 7's is this picture of a meeting in the Reichschancellery with top brass. You can see Bormann, Hess and others that maybe someone else can id. Again, any ideas on these picture-book items are very welcome.

Thanks,

Pat

Here is the last of the 5 x 7 size pictures I have, and last one for today. This one is a pic of Hitler talking about the struggle for German freedom in May 1936. I will post the 3 x 5 size photobook pics when I get back from my trip, and I hope you enjoy them and leave some comments further explaining this unique set of items.

Cheers,

Pat

Lastly for today, the back of the Hitler May 1936 speech pic.

Thanks for looking,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Nice pics. :beer: Hope you're able to get the full book. They're very nice. I'll try to do some of mine as well as a few singles I have later today... bit too late to crank up the bunker computer tonight as it's 2:40 a.m. here.

I have the Adolf Hitler one as well as both volumes of Olympia all complete.

As far as translation on these... it's not too hard to get used to the fonts they used on these... very similar to some of the newspapers and books of the era. Remember that they have a strange character that is basically a long S sound.

Here's a list of what you'll need for the next step:

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

And here's a link to a free online translation program:

http://translation2.paralink.com/

Simply block and copy the above special characters over to Notepad on your computer and name it something like German Special Characters. When you run into any of these in the document or item you want to translate, just go over to your Notepad file, block out and copy the character you need in either capital or lower case and paste it into the proper place in what you're putting in the translation program.

Then go to the translation site, set it for German to English and type in a few lines up to a small paragraph from what you want to translate using the system (copying and pasting the special characters as above) in this instance the back of your photos.

Hit translate and it will do the work and come up with a translation.

Now, it's going to be literal and don't know how much you know about German and many other languages. But things will seem out of order for those of us who speak English as our sole or primary language. So you'll have to do some rearranging as well as taking some of the words and breaking them down. Germans tend to take an item and be very descriptive with it. For instance... the VW Jeep of WWII... what is commonly referred to as the Kubelwagon. It's actually the Kubelsitzwagon... bucket seat car. Volks Wagon... Peoples Car... and so on.

Also, some words may be specific to the period, or to the military, etc. This would be considered "technical" German... such as specific military hardware or equipment... may not translate with the online system.

There is a German/English Military Dictionary out there... I have one. You can often find them for not too much on Ebay and you might check Amazon.com. This will give you a translation/definition for just about any German military term you can think of.

Anyhow hope this helps. :cheers:

Dan

Hi Pat,

As promised... here's my two single photos. I'm happy to do shots of the AH and Olympia books if you or anyone else are intro'd but I think they've been around enough that most folks have seen them. But let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

This first one is of a group of SA:

[attachmentid=51341]

• 2 months later...

A belated thanks Dan for the great information! The translation website is very helpful. Are these fairly common then? I got them as a gift so I don't think they are too rare. I will show the fronts of a couple more here. The first up is a fairly famous pic of Hitler with the SA in Braunschweig 1931.

Cheers,

Pat

A belated thanks Dan for the great information! The translation website is very helpful. Are these fairly common then? I got them as a gift so I don't think they are too rare. I will show the fronts of a couple more here. The first up is a fairly famous pic of Hitler with the SA in Braunschweig 1931.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

No problem. Happy to have pitched in a bit. :beer: Keep an eye out for the full books... they're on Ebay from time to time and show up in other places as well. Some are rarer than others but speaking from my experience of having the AH volume and the two volume Olympia set they're well worth having complete with all the cards. :cheers:

Dan

And one of Hitler and Goebbels (not sure who the chap on Hitler's right is) in Stuttgart 1933.

Cheers,

Pat

Pat, if it's anyone of any importance it should say something about him on the back of the card. He looks somewhat familiar but can't be sure at this point. If it comes to mind I'll pop on and let you know but perhaps one of the other members will chime in on this one. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hello,

I will be sure to try to find more of these, they are a neat inexpensive collectable from the era. I will post the back of the pic of Hitler and Goebbells and some as yet unidentified person beside Hitler, but it appears the only names mentioned on the back of the card are SS Obersturmfuhrer Felix Ulbrecht, Wilfred Bade, and Heinrich Hoffman (the photographer). It may be a hint, hopefully it will spark someones memory. Here is the back of the card.

Cheers,

Pat