News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Chris,

These are like maps. Once you unfold them it is very difficult to put them back correctly. Good luck with that. A few years back a large stash of these was found with bundles of these dressings covered in civilian cloth, but with the normal military ink markings. All with 1918 dates and in the same manner as so many other things that substituted civilian/commercial cloth for the normal cotton. My 1918 Bluse is lined with black pinstriped civilian cloth. They were getting down to the nubbins.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Back view. Note the early brass rivets and maker mark "T. BITGEN / KARLSRUHE".

The maker is actually "L.Ritgen", a big supplier of leather goods to the army. The company is also known to have made holsters of all types, cartridge pouches, map cases, backpacks, bayonet frogs and phone cases, with items dated back to 1913 and going through 1918.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Eric,

Has there been some lettering scraped off on the lid? Also, is the inside plain or does it have compartments?

Thanks,

Chip

I'll take a couple more pics tomorrow use it for all me little goodies people give me a hard time for it but I've no idea what era it is, told it was a medic trench/bunker box? Was full of cool little bottles etc but the dealer sold them off one by one dam it. Just feels W1 but never seen a photo of one. I want to donate it to our chum in Europe with the wagons if first war eventually.

Best

Eric

• 1 year later...

Hello

Our mutual friend in Belgium? has a superb collection I'm hoping he will join the forum. The Gent who purchased those stunning W1 supply wagons etc..remember?

Darn it gents I wish I'd at least kept photos of my Imperial reg. marked surgeon kits Lord knows where they are now pre for me at least 'Forum Net Digital Converse Days' :lol: They were incredible, heavy in beautiful wooden chests, only examples came close were/are on display a the IWM London...actually they freaked me out, a friend 30yrs ago had a huge wooden closet type chest that must have been transport/ removable for field hospitals,,, amazing.

Btw where is ED? I hope he is ok?

Regards

Eric

• 1 month later...
    • 5 weeks later...