News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am trying to figure out if a Leutnant, promoted to Oberl. in 1915 (I think) Von Hadeln is the same man called "Von Harlin" in a book written by a south African just after WW1.

From what I can see, it must be the same guy. The region is the same, along the Southern border of Namibia in the area under the command of Vn Kleist, and involved with the South African rebels in 1914-15.

Does anyone know if there is a Von harlin on the Schutztruppe roll ? If not I can assume its the same guy.

Hello Chris Boonzaier,

A von Harlin didn?t existed.

All the best

Leutwein

P.S.: Did you get all the documents of von Hadeln??

Hi,

EK1 and 2, one of the Grenschutz ost ones and his pilots stuff.

Unfortunately I missed the patent and second Grenzshutzgruppe doc.

I think the PLM assoc paper concerned a relative of his and not him.

best

Chris

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Grenzschutz? :Cat-Scratch: Pilot?

The SWA FREIHERR von Hadeln seems to have been a POW--

Leutnant 27.1.06 N2n

Oberleutnant 5.9.14 P5p

but still that in January 1919 when his seniority-mates had all made Hauptmann 18.9.15-ish.

He started out in Hessian Feldart Rgt 61.

Officers were not promoted whilst POWs. However they were often promoted on release after the war and in some cases up to two grades.

Regards

Glenn

Hi,

in 1914-15 before being captured he made it to Oblt. in 1919 after his release he was made hauptmann. He soon after retired as Major.

best

Chris

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10820

Here is a link to the docs.

If be became a pilot in germany in December 1912, I assume he arrived in GSWA in 1913 or 14? Does that mean it unlikely he got the Denkm?nze?

What is really nice is he was in the Southern part of GSWA, on the South African border, involved with the groups of rebels.

I am over the moon at having got (most) of this group....

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10820

Here is a link to the docs.

If be became a pilot in germany in December 1912, I assume he arrived in GSWA in 1913 or 14? Does that mean it unlikely he got the Denkm?nze?

Hello,

no he didn?t get the "Colonial-Medal" (Kolonialdenkm?nze). He didn?t take part at any "coloinal-wars" in Southwest.

By the way, in the book "For Valour" of Gordon McGregor, Oberleutnant von Hadeln isn?t present on the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 1st class!!! But he is present on the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 2nd class.

All the best

Leutwein

Hello,

no he didn?t get the "Colonial-Medal" (Kolonialdenkm?nze). He didn?t take part at any "coloinal-wars" in Southwest.

By the way, in the book "For Valour" of Gordon McGregor, Oberleutnant von Hadeln isn?t present on the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 1st class!!! But he is present on the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 2nd class.

All the best

Leutwein

Hi,

how many EK1 recipients are listed?

Best

Chris

• 3 years later...

Hi,

von Hadeln was wounded, but I have not been able to find out where.

Best

Chris

In my copy of "For Valour" by Gordon McGregor I don't see him as wounded. (But, as was mentioned earlier, I don't see him receiving the EKI, but you kindof have the document to show otherwise ;) )

I understand you contacted Mr. McGregor before (for a photo). Can you email him again and ask from what source did he use for his book to list the wounded? It might tell you WHEN that source was produced. Hadeln's wound may have been received AFTER that source was put together. Or, that it was limited in some way.

BTW: do you need a copy of "For Valour"?

It's a little after the fact but...very nice group!

In my copy of "For Valour" by Gordon McGregor I don't see him as wounded. (But, as was mentioned earlier, I don't see him receiving the EKI, but you kindof have the document to show otherwise ;) )

I understand you contacted Mr. McGregor before (for a photo). Can you email him again and ask from what source did he use for his book to list the wounded? It might tell you WHEN that source was produced. Hadeln's wound may have been received AFTER that source was put together. Or, that it was limited in some way.

BTW: do you need a copy of "For Valour"?

It's a little after the fact but...very nice group!

Hi,

I think as with many rolls, especially of this type, there are gaps.

von Hadeln is extremely interesting for me because THIS GUY ACTUALLY INVADED SOUTH AFRICA !!!

See here...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40029/150601.html

and is mentioned here...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/41815/205801.html

It is maybe THE GSWA group.

I cannot imagine a better one for me...

• 8 years later...

True there were gaps in the roll in my book but in the mean wqhile I have produced a booklet with ALL the names of those wounded during the campaign. Hadeln is not included sop i think he was wounded in Europe. He was sent back to Germany on a prisoner of war exchange. Not sure of the date but I must search my files for it. By the do you have his 'Piloten Ausweis"?