News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Assmann 1st Pattern Observer's badge.

Having been on the hunt for this piece for some time, I was very pleased to see the postman making his way up the drive with clipboard and parcel in hand..

By F.W Assmann, IMO, one of the finest Observer?s badges made. This example, made of plated tombak, is unmarked, has the 1st pattern eagle on the 1937/38 wreath and is in very fine condition.

The same 1st pattern eagle can also be found on the earlier 1935/36 wreath, used in the production of the 1st pattern Pilot & combined Pilot/Observer badge series.

Hi Mike,

You?ve touched on a subject that has also had me pondering for many a year..

We have references to the proposed institution of the badges in the ?Luftwaffen-Verordnungsblatt (the official orders of the Luftwaffe), we even have descriptions of how the badge was to look + dimensions, so I can only think that there must have been a set of designer master artworks, for each badge, that the individual company?s die-cutters worked from. It?s too much of a coincidence that all maker examples look so similar, same amount of feathers per wing, positioning of the talons, number of Oak and Laurel leaves on the wreath, etc.

So, somewhere, there?s a file with a set of these artworks, in a collection, or official archives, just waiting to be found.... Something I?d love to see..

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

Having been on the hunt for this piece for some time, I was very pleased to see the postman making his way up the drive with clipboard and parcel in hand..

By F.W Assmann, IMO, one of the finest Observer's badges made. This example, made of plated tombak, is unmarked, has the 1st pattern eagle on the 1937/38 wreath and is in very fine condition.

The same 1st pattern eagle can also be found on the earlier 1935/36 wreath, used in the production of the 1st pattern Pilot & combined Pilot/Observer badge series.

My dream item, Beobachterabz early Juncker MINT!!! I am glad to watch your Beobachter,John!! yahooo,NICENICENICE!!