News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello boys,

In one of the current German auctions is a supposed tunic of Wilhelm II (field grey).... I had them forward larger pics to me and here is a scan of the ribbons inthe button hole...... It appears to be a one piece ribbon... but they jsut don't 'look right' to me for Willie.... ;)

and for 30k..... things need to be perfect....... Can you guys id'd them or confirm what they are ?

Cheers

Mark

Yes you're right, the ribbon's made in one piece.

But I think it is fine for Wilhelm II., as the same (or at least a identical) ribbon is shown in Nimmergut's B?nderkatalog (which is OOP) on the very last page. It shows only the Emperor's military awards, so it is mostly identical to the huuuge medal bar which will be sold soon by A. Thies.

He had of course many (or at least, some) very different bars, but this ribbon is nearly matching to the above named bar ... :love:

Dear Mark:

This ribbon combination for Wilhelm II was featured in the "B?nderkatalog" br Krischer and Nimmergut on page 272.

The tunic pictured in the book is a different one (in your photo the ribbon stops at the piping and is sewn there, the ribbon on page 272 wraps around the back of the tunic flap), but with the same ribbon combination. The first ribbon is the Bavarian Military Max Joseph Order, then follows the Saxon, MilitarySt. Henry Order, W?rttemberg Military Merit Order, Austria Military Maria Theresia Order, Baden Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order, then the Hanseatic Crosses for Hamburg, Bremen, and L?beck.

Based upon the context of the auction, and the fact that another source is confirming that this composite award combination ribbon existed previously, I feel confident that the ribbon was that of the Kaiser. I do not specialize in uniforms, their construction, or how to spot forgeries/alterations, so I can't comment otherwise with authority.

An interesting piece of history! I wonder how many just WWI-era uniforms the Kaiser had? I'm sure that he probably had a great many.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Damn!

I was hoping that you guys would have problems with it... so that I could just write it off.....

Now I have a real dilemma ! :speechless1:

i.e. sell the house, divorce the wife......... and buy it ..... or........ let it go..... :banger:

SPM..... I'm certain that he had hundreds.. not only did he have at least one for every regiment in the Imperial military.... He also have them for every other country in Europe... I have pics of him in Turkish, British, Swiss, Russian etc.... and the list goes on and on....

Question is... how many are on the open market ???

This one would actually be the easiest to 'deck out' for display.. as he didn't wear a ribbon bar and just a couple of stars...

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mravery