News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion Condor Overseas Cap Sgt.

Got this from the same vet as the Flak cap. I couldnt be happier with this puppy, as Ive never seen one for sale...and this is in SUPERB condition...I cant show you the sweat stains on the inside but their so subtle and real...if you held this piece theres no doubt its not real :). All the best, Jon

[attachmentid=53318]

Mr. John could you explain sir? Im guessing you mean Clemens Wagner? Im not familiar with the term. Thanks for the compliments sir! :) TIA and all the best, Jon

You are correct - they are one of the top quality makers that many people like to buy in regard to Luft visors... others are eRel, Lubstein, Puk... cant recal the last one...

Cheers

John

IPB Image

The uniforms worn by returned Legion Condor veterans in Berlin in 1939 were requisitioned for the parades from Reichs-Arbeitsdienst stores to try to emulate the deep tan uniforms worn in-theatre by the Legion Condor.

Legion Condor ranks followed Spanish practice, with every legionnaire being bumped up a rank for the duration of of his tour in Spain. The branch-of-service colours for the Legion Condor were as follows:

Flight Crew - gold-yellow or "cavalry yellow".

Flak-Artillery - red.

Signals - light brown.

HQ/Staff - black.

The tank crewmembers of the Imker-Verb?nde, drawn from the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment, may have used a pink backing as on this schiffen. The gold tresse would appear to be correct as the only NCOs who wore cap and breast insignia, if I recall rightly, in silver were interpreters.

PK

Edited by PKeating

I think the insignia is for a Flak-Artillerie NCO. It could be pink but it is hard to tell as photographs can play tricks with colours. One veteran who wrote about the heavy wool RAD uniforms they were issued for the Berlin ceremonies was Adolf Galland. Apparently, they had the hottest July on record that year and the legionnaires were sweating their balls off.

Your sidehat certainly conforms to what one would expect, with the German-made NCO tresse conforming to the pattern specified by Luftwaffe regulations but gold-coloured in line with Spanish regulations for NCO insignia. I am sure some legionnaires brought home caps, tunics and insignia they wore in Spain but most of them turned their kit in before they returned home. The excellent condition is logical as these uniforms were only worn a few times.

Obviously it is hard to make a definitive decision without handling a piece but if this were a fake, then the faker was both intelligent and well-read.

PK

Edited by PKeating

I wish you guys could see it...that would be fun...someday just rent the biggest hotel ball room out there and have a ton of people from here and MCF get together and bring our most prized pieces to swap and show off and tell stories and probably drink for those of us at that age LOL. That would be fun I believe, you know just like a collectors get together...as Tim the Tool Man would say "AR AR AR AR!" LOL All the best, Jon

I wish you guys could see it...that would be fun...someday just rent the biggest hotel ball room out there and have a ton of people from here and MCF get together and bring our most prized pieces to swap and show off and tell stories and probably drink for those of us at that age LOL. That would be fun I believe, you know just like a collectors get together...as Tim the Tool Man would say "AR AR AR AR!" LOL All the best, Jon

That is what the forums are all about! :beer:

• 1 year later...

The legionnaires wore Spanish-made uniforms in Spain although some officers had privately tailored outfits. When the Legion returned to Germany, as I said, they were issued with RAD uniforms, which resembled the uniforms they had worn in Spain, for the victory parades and other events. German manufacturers did not produce uniforms for the Legion Condor as such.

PK