News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Guards and Partisan decoration

[attachmentid=56001][attachmentid=56000]

I came across this item initially thinking it could be a red banner - apparantly not. I am baffled... as I have never seen such a piece before. What should probably be enamel is not entirely convincing at first glance ... but the design is intriguing as is the screwback. (I am trying to get more pics of this). Does anyone have any ideas?

It reads "Proletariat of the world unite..... warriors of the red guards and red partisans"

I use 'warriors' in my translation for lack of a better word.... maybe 'fighetrs' might be more approriate....

Regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

the badge is dedicated to Red Guardsman and Red Partisan. It was awarded in 1932 by

the Leningrad City Soviet to active participants of the Revolution and Civil War.

On the occasion of the 15th anniversary of the October Revolution. Genuine badges are

about 3.000 US Dollar.

regards

Andreas

Thanks guys!

If u have pics of a genuine piece do take the trouble to scan and post....or better....if anyone has a genuine piece and can actually post his pics :cheeky: - This can hardly look like the real Mc Coy..... which must be a real beauty!

Thanks.

Jim

PS - Good to see you back Doc :cheers:

It is a rather well known badge and for my taste, the design is really nice, welldone and typical for the period. I don't have this badge in my collection :( .

You can find a photograph + descreption in V. A. Durov "Russian and Soviet Military Awards", 1990 from the History Museum in Moscow on page 72.

Also in the latest edition of Herfurth's booklet it is included - picture in this posting and descreption in the following posting. The price is in EUROs, but I think a little bit too moderate :P .

Best regards

Christian Zulus

[attachmentid=56019]

Thanks for the pic posts. :cheers: Is the white enemalled surface slightly stippled? What, if any criteria was used to award it and in what quantities? What other instances are there for similar revolution related awards to have been issued and any pics that can be posted.

Alas such awards, although very interesting, fall outside my very specific area of collection and study so its good for me to find out more about them!

Jim

Hi Jimzammit & Gerd,

Thank you both for the kind words. Yes, the white enameled surface is stippled. That is the main reason why I wanted you to see the picture.

Igor Moiseyev has a similar piece on his website. Although not as evident, his does also have the stippling but the pearl/white enamel on his is heavier. We discussed this and agreed that his is likely an earlier piece.

The holder of this particular badge was from January 1918 a Red Guardsman in the 1st Revolutionary Unit of the Caucasian Red Guard and Red Army, (from July 1918) a private in the Communist Combat Militia of the Petrograd Regional Party Committee, (from September 1918) a cadet in Moscow Machine-gun Classes, (from December 1919) Commander of battalion of machine-gun detachment of the 406th Rifle Regt., Southern Front and so on.

Thank you again and best to you both,

Wild Card