News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French-Peruvian medalions

Hello Hendrik,

I understand they were given to the French residents and Peruvian friends who backed the Fren Red Cros and and war involvment.

Eduardo.

PS.They made medals related to the 14 July almost every year but during WWI they made this.

The second inscription translates as "French Day - Lima Peru" [Journee Farncaise..} It also has two dates - "14 July, 1917" and "Verdun 21 February, 1916".

I'm ashamed to say I don't know what 21 Feb/'16 signifies in relation to Verdun - the end of the battle perhaps - but I assume the later date is the "French Day", again probably a fundraiser for the war effort by the French community in Lima. Were there many Frenchmen there in WWI, Eduardo?

Peter

Eduardo,

Interesting pieces!

Peter,

The fighting at Verdun got off to a belated start on 21 February 1916, after being postponed since 12 February due to poor weather.

David

(...) I'm ashamed to say I don't know what 21 Feb/'16 signifies in relation to Verdun (...) Peter

21 february 1916 is the 1st day of the Battle of Verdun. The initial bombardment of the Germans took place on the morning of 21 February 1916. German infantry attacks followed that afternoon.

Ch.

Well Hendrik, I gues the dates issue was solved. Will try to find out with a French friend here in Lima if he has more info as to the issue of the dedals itself.

Being a Belgian born in Per?, it makes me happy to have met you here. What I collect is First World War postcards. I have some from Belgium.

Eduardo

What I collect is First World War postcards. I have some from Belgium.

Hello Eduardo,

I suggest you post them in the Collector's Showcase section of this forum so that we can all enjoy having a look at them ... :D

Cheers from Belgium,

Hendrik

OK Hendrik I will have a look there and will post them. If there is anything I can do for you or other forum mmbers here in Per?, please don't hesitate to let me know. As a historian I know my area pretty well so anybody planing to visit just contact me.

Eduardo

Hendrik, The post cards are in the proper place now. I have started with the ones from Belgium of course. I will continue posting all the ones I have.

Thankyou Bigjarofwasps for your words. It is my pleasure to share my collection.

Eduardo