News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few ribbonbars...

• Replies 87
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you mention it....

Got a few uniform jackets back home that I should clear out as they are now totally irrelevant to my medal collection. From collecting everything under the sun I did kind of see the light and narrow down to ODMs.

There should be 3 jackets and one other uniform that I can remember buying in the 90s. All 1980 stuff though! Also got some caps (about a dozen or so!) I'll see whether I can find any pics and post them in the for sale thread. Better clear them out as opposed to leaving them in a box completely out of sight!! At least as displays someone will enjoy them.......!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Cool!

I presume the double ribbon for Victory over Germany is for the 25th anniversary as well.

Gerd's post 21 has the same double victory ribbon. They sure are not Glory and it seems from previous hand painted bars that the 25th Anniversary Badge was often included. I guess its just a case of artists' interpretation as I do not believe there was ever any official ribbon for that badge!

The 25 year anniversary did turn out to be a bit of a runt.....and in a way, 25 years is a big year! I never really considered this badge as a medal ... but seems increasingly that lots of Russian did!!!

Jim

The ribbon for the 25th Anniversary badge is commonly found on painted ribbon bars. They either look like the Victory Over germany or the same colors painted diagonally from left to right. They add to the prestige this badge seems to have.

:beer: Doc

Here is another litttle painted beauty. Starts off with the Red Star and has the ribbon to represent the 25th Anniversary Badge as the second last item. What confuses the hell out of me is the third ribbon on the first row. It looks like the British Defense Medal and I cannot find anything Soviet that in any way resembles it. Anybody got any ideas what it is ?

Guest Rick Research

That is certainly what it looks like. :speechless1: If it is supposed to be-- as that position would indicate, and the ABSENCE of which is notrable-- the 1965 Victory Jubilee

it is REALLY Not Even Close! :speechless:

But then the whole thing is in bizarre precedence, with the 1978 last.

Weird!!!!!

And how can you tell the difference between an Order of Glory, Victory over Germany and a 25th Anniversary Medal? Is it their place in the ribbon bar?

The position in the medal bar and the other ribbons that are present can help as well...

Thanks. It makes me think of another small off-topic question: Why a badge for the 25th anniversary and a medal for the 55th? To me it seems that the 25th anniversary is much more important...

Edited by Ferdinand

Guest Rick Research

The only thing I can think of is that having just bestowed millions of 20th Victory Jubilee Medals, the State didn't want to go into the expense and effort of doing that every FIVE years.

Look how much nothing but "still breathing" jubilee junk ended up being handed out every TEN years-- 1948, 1958, 1968, 1978, 1988; 1965, 1975, 1985 (and the DOUBLE expense and bother of those absurd jubilee Patriotic Wars at the same time!!!), 1995, 2005....

Now that the Federation added the Zhukov medal in 1996 too, a veteran with minimal WW2 service still alive today will have TEN medals, ONE badge,and the jubilee "ORDER" for simply "being there." That's a full dozen awards for what a British or American veteran with the same last-few-months/not necessarily even ever under fire service will STILL have exactly TWO medals for, with NONE since being discharged.

While VERY useful in helping us as collectors to date groups from last-jubilee-present, none of those add anything meaningful to the Victory Over Germany or Victory Over Japan Medals.

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Ahhhhh. I :love: that one in #47 with the little strips between each color as if the paint was cloisonn? enamel! That is my favorite of all the "Solid D Profile" painted types.

Question about the very interesting 8 bar in #48--

is EACH ribbon applied SEPARATELY, or are they painted in one long strip of 4 ribbons in one piece for each row? That's quite an interesting combination-- suggests MVD/police to me rather than regular armed forces, with the Badge of Honor. It is VERY hard to find that "Thin Painted Plastic Sheet" style in such fine condition, beacuse they usually crack and break-- either from age or because the thin sheets of painted 'ribbon" don't take rough handling very well.

Look at this BATTERED mixture of cloth and thin painted plastic sheet ribbons, non-regulation precedence, but worn by some ancient but proud old General, a veteran of 1918 still around in the 1960s:

Rick, the ribbon bar #48 are ribbons applied separately. They are very tight put together that it seems they were painted all together. I was also wondering what does a Glory labor would do on a bar with a Caucasus campaign medal.

My favorite is also the one posted in #47, it is very nice and slightly curved on the inside.

I wopuld assume that the newest ribbons are the cloth ribbons on cloth and the plastic painted ribbons. Rick could you told me if the one in post #47 is an old pattern ribbon bar? Which pattern is older #46 or #47?

Thanks in advance!