News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What .50 Cal. Machine Gun was this used in?

jon m.

Could someone give me some background information on this .50 cal. MG cartridge link?

My uncle gave me them some years ago and I have yet to know what they were used in (My uncle has since died, so naturally I can't ask him). The ammunition is all WWII dated ("DM 43") and the links are stamped "M15 BRW". I assume that the "BRW" refers to John M. Browning.

Any help is appreciated.

Jon.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hallo Jon :beer:

Can you post a close up picture of the tip for me?

The round and link look like the ones I saw while in South Lebanon back in 1979 & 1980, I dont think the design of either the link or round has changed much since the weapon was invented. :jumping:

I dont know if from the link its possible to tell if it was from a WW2 weapon that was used in a ground role, or from a tank, armored car, half track, etc... or even from a plane.

The Lebanese Christian Militia had them mounted on M3 (White) Half Tracks of Ww2 vintage, back in 1979-80 and long after (they obtained most of their equipment from the Israelis,) they also mounted them on retro T-55 as well. (see picture).

The Israelis seemed to mount the .5's on all their armour as well, (see pictures)I know once that baby lets rip you tend to keep your head down, and I do know of an Irish Corporal (John O'Connor) who survived a hit by a .5 round, in the stomach from over 2 kms away while on duty at a checkpoint in Lebanon with the U.N. :o

The normal type of rounds carried were Full metal jackets, Tracer (Red- Silver Tip) Explosive (Blue and Silver Tip) as far as I can remember.

Nowadays this weapon is still in service with many countries around the world.

Kevin in Deva (Transylvania) :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

It is just black lacquer (AP Tungsten Core). He got them during his time in the US Army (late 1960s and early 1970s). I do not remember if he served in Vietnam or not. I think that he might have because he did not like talking about his time in the Army (he would literally change the subject if asked about his military experience). However I do know that he was some kind of instructor at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Jon.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by jon m.

Yes I knew that, and at the Des Moines ordnance plant (DM), but what I have no idea about is the kind of MG it was used in.

I feel stupid for asking this, but what does "IIRC" mean?

Jon.

Edited by jon m.

Yes I knew that, and at the Des Moines ordnance plant (DM), but what I have no idea about is the kind of MG it was used in.

I feel stupid for asking this, but what does "IIRC" mean?

Jon.

Jon,

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.

IIRC = if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

David

??

Laurence,

I hope I understand your question marks as you intended them.

In my opinion, no one should feel stupid for asking a question.

However, not all answers are helpful, especially if they are condescending and/or imply that the question was stupid.

I did not mean to imply that all answers are stupid, but rather that some answers are stupid, e.g. the condescending kind.

If people were afraid to ask questions on a forum for fear of being considered stupid, then this meeting place would be reduced to a simple showcase and not a venue where people can learn something.

David

Edited by David Gregory

Kev, is that you on the left?? Wow, that strong Romanian sun!!! :o:cheeky:

Hallo Theo,

ROFL :P and I was using Sunblock 100,000 while guarding my garlic patch from the pesky Garlic Thieves as well :P

Actually everyone compliments me on my Bulgarian look :P:P

Kevin :beer:

• 2 weeks later...