News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Do you remember your very first Soviet ODM?

I was in Moscow February 1996. Yes I know, Moscow in February "Are you crazy?!?!". I was down a side street off of Red Square and was looking at a table of shiney things when the guy selling the stuff pulled out from under the table, a piece of leatherette with a bunch of medals on it. I had no idea what they were, but they were Soviet and they were cool looking so I bought the whole sheet. I think I paid $10.00 in rubles, paying in American $$$ was forbidden, so we were briefed.

So there I am with a pocket full of bright and shiney medal things. Not thinking anything about it, we went through the metal detector to enter Lenin's tomb. All the sirens and buzzers went off, I thought they were going to shoot me. When they started searching my pockets and started pulling all this stuff out, all they could do was laugh and call me a silly American tourist.

So, fast forward ten years, I'm going through some boxes I found out in the garage, lo and behold, I come across all those medals. So I go online to see what they are and one thing led to another, and here I am, several thousand dollars poorer, but collection richer.

The magical lot was all the jubillee medals and military anniversary, Lenin 100th anniversary (which the guy selling them told me was an Order of Lenin), and a whole pocket full of tinnies. :speechless:

I agree, thats a nice collection, Christian :jumping:

What are the OGPW?s numbers and variations?

Gerd

Dear Gerd,

from the front to the rear:

- OGPW 1cl, T2 / V1, s/n. 26.707

- OGPW 2cl, T2 / flatback, s/n. 796.715

- OGPW 1cl, T3 (1985), s/n. 1.034.542

Some years ago, I got another OGPW 1cl, T2 / V1, s/n. 196.750 and an really beautiful (mint-condition!) OGPW 2cl, T2 / starback (duplicat!), s/n. 46.653 "d".

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Christian, nice low number on the OPW 1st class. You have got to get it researched.

I would love to see the duplicate, if you still own that one.

Dear Gerd,

yes, the low numbered OPW 1cl would be worth to be researched, but I am still waiting for the results of the Glory-Trio-Gnitienko-research ...

I just got a new mobile phone with a 3.2 megapixel camera and I will try to make some close-up shots of the duplicate OPW 2cl :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 5 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...

My first USSR ODMs were two OGPW 1985 types - a 1st and 2nd Class; bought at a Berlin flea market sometime in 1985 - shortly after they were issued in the Soviet Union. I paid about $20 for the 2nd Class; my wife bought the 1st Class for about $40 as a Christmas present. At the time, I was more of a coin collector and these Soviet decorations were more of a novelty; I had no idea they had just been issued that year for the 40th Anniversary of WWII. They sat in a box for many years until a few years ago when I started seriously collecting ODMs. It was then that I learned more about the items.

I also picked up an Order of the Red Banner of Labor at the same Berlin flea market in the early 1990s - after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Then I thought it a real curiosity of history. Paid about $20. A year or two later, I added the Capture of Berlin and the Defense of Leningrad medals while visiting Vilnius, Lithuania; again about $20 each.

No photos; all are in a safe deposit box back in the US.

This is a really interesting thread for me since over the past two months I've been living in Armenia I have increased my Soviet collection nearly 10 fold from these first acquisitions. And I truly can say there are only about 12 more pieces I'd like to add - all common campaign and jubilee medals - which I can likely pick up here before I leave in two months time. I have no desire for the high end orders. Okay, maybe a wartime OGPW, but that isn't absolutely necessary. :rolleyes:

So, it seems my Soviet "disease" has lain dormant for 25 years, has now erupted in a "feverish" frenzy, and will die out very shortly. :speechless: Of course, I have enough "wants" in other countries that I won't be cured for long. :whistle:

I was in Moscow February 1996. Yes I know, Moscow in February "Are you crazy?!?!". I was down a side street off of Red Square and was looking at a table of shiney things when the guy selling the stuff pulled out from under the table, a piece of leatherette with a bunch of medals on it. I had no idea what they were, but they were Soviet and they were cool looking so I bought the whole sheet. I think I paid $10.00 in rubles, paying in American $$$ was forbidden, so we were briefed.

So there I am with a pocket full of bright and shiney medal things. Not thinking anything about it, we went through the metal detector to enter Lenin's tomb. All the sirens and buzzers went off, I thought they were going to shoot me. When they started searching my pockets and started pulling all this stuff out, all they could do was laugh and call me a silly American tourist.

So, fast forward ten years, I'm going through some boxes I found out in the garage, lo and behold, I come across all those medals. So I go online to see what they are and one thing led to another, and here I am, several thousand dollars poorer, but collection richer.

The magical lot was all the jubillee medals and military anniversary, Lenin 100th anniversary (which the guy selling them told me was an Order of Lenin), and a whole pocket full of tinnies.

Tonytdyagain, very nice group! But one of them doesn't belong there and IMHO, should be either thrown in the garbage or given to children to play with.

The 4th medal from the left top row, it's an "Umalatova medal". If you're not familiar with them, check here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43341

It simply doesn't belong wih nice genuine articles from the Soviet Era...

BTW, I like your user ID... I myself have had the great pleasure of spending 10 (non consecutive) weeks at home in the past 14 months! -SIGH-

Tonytdyagain, very nice group! But one of them doesn't belong there and IMHO, should be either thrown in the garbage or given to children to play with.

The 4th medal from the left top row, it's an "Umalatova medal". If you're not familiar with them, check here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43341

It simply doesn't belong wih nice genuine articles from the Soviet Era...

BTW, I like your user ID... I myself have had the great pleasure of spending 10 (non consecutive) weeks at home in the past 14 months! -SIGH-

Thanks Frank. Yes, I know, but it looks cool even if it isn't a real one. All those are now in their own plastic sleeves back in a box somewhere in my office. Not enough room to display everything. Besides, I'm afraid if I break them out again, there goes more of my retirement savings!!! Which in 61 days will come in handy. Finally getting to retire from the Air Force after 26 years. Still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up though.

Thanks again,

Tony

Besides, I'm afraid if I break them out again, there goes more of my retirement savings!!! Which in 61 days will come in handy. Finally getting to retire from the Air Force after 26 years. Still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up though.

Thanks again,

Tony

My apologies to the initial thread for this a bit off%20topic.gif reply but...

Tony, 26 years isn't too bad... I'm still in, and to give you an idea of how long I've been in so far, look at my avatar, it was my very first A/C. :whistle:

My apologies to the initial thread for this a bit off%20topic.gif reply but...

Tony, 26 years isn't too bad... I'm still in, and to give you an idea of how long I've been in so far, look at my avatar, it was my very first A/C. :whistle:

Now you're dating yourself Frank :cheers:

Besides, I'd sign up for another 26 if they would let me. But the US Air Force thinks us old farts having nothing left to offer. But I have amassed quite the selection of shiny bobbles that will wind up on that e&@y site someday to the highest bidder.

post-1141-074059200 1287453684_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My first medals were purchased in 1993.

1. 60th Anniversary of the Red Army- 5 dollars

2. Order of Honor- 10 dollars

3. Order of Red Banner of Labor- 10 dollars

4. Order of the Red Star- 5 dollars

I was so happy to get so many high quality medals for under 30 dollars. I went to that gun show looking for German stuff, but it was way too expensive for me at the time.

I was able to eventally get some really nice stuff over time, before moving focuses:

1. Order of Lenin with Orders Book- 475 dollars

2. XX Anniversary of the Red Army with photo/award booklet- 200 dollars

3. Screwback ORB- 190 dollars

and many more.

I stopped collecting Soviet Orders and medals in 1995 and ended up with a lot of great groupings and etc. I am so glad that I kept them all. Ironically, even though I make much more money now, I would never be able to afford many of the items I have in my collection. I do have regrets in not getting certain orders and etc, when I could, but I am very happy to have what I do now.

Paul

My first Soviet ODM was an Order of the Red Star (see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28517&hl=) I bought in... Madrid, of all places! :speechless: A few months before that trip to Spain I saw a magazine article (I swear it was in Businessweek, but I have not been able to find an old copy to prove it) that very briefly mentioned Soviet awards and included a picture of a Red Star. At the Madrid coin market, I saw one for the first time, and remembering that article, I bought it.

That was in 2006 or 2007, when prices were still more reasonable. By the time I knew enough to be a serious collector, values skyrocketed and a lot was out of reach. Luckily, I caught a few nice, small things early. For instance, this was my first documented group: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28617

If anyone happens to know of the article I am talking about, please let me know!

Alex

bunch of jubilee medals with docs for one person and ORS

ORS was a fake :speechless:

from time to time I thank thank, cos after that I kick myself into learning something about SU awards :cheers:

post-9307-098557000 1290543784_thumb.jpg

Edited by ph3s