News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Carol I:

This badge is original and is gold. The center of the piece is of lesser-quality gold or silver-gilt however as it has a slight patinae. Many of these were made this way. The piece is marked with a "W", so it was made by Wagner, Berlin. I have not seen gold badges marked regarding their gold content, however gilded pieces (post~1916) are sometimes marked with the silver content (usually 938). The case is correct as is the ribbon.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that the hinge of the case was broken, so its condition was far from perfect. Maybe this is why the price for this was not as outrageous as for the Order of the Zahringer Lion I also posted.

On the other hand, I was surprised by the folding of the ribbon. I was expecting the full ribbon to go through the suspension ring, not only a narrower bit sewn to the broader ribbon. Was it normal to have the order worn in this way?

this way is the so called prussian mount style,

which is also favoured by the dutch military to wear their medals.

All medals would be sewn on a plate with between the plate and the medal itself a piece of ribbon folded around the backplate in a U shape.

Personally, I prefer the English Court-mounted style, is beautifuller in my opinion.

Kind regards,

Jacky

If the information on wikipedia is correct;

I would like to quote it:

"The badge of the Order for the 1st to 4th classes was a gilt cross, similar in shape to the Iron Cross but with white enamel (except for the 4th Class, which was plain)."

So the third class would have enamel, but the fourth class would be a plain silver cross.

Kind regards,

Jacky

"The badge of the Order for the 1st to 4th classes was a gilt cross, similar in shape to the Iron Cross but with white enamel (except for the 4th Class, which was plain)."

So the third class would have enamel, but the fourth class would be a plain silver cross.

Thanks Jacky for the quote. I must have missed that on Wikipedia.