News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Citation:

AWARD CITATION

Last name, first name and patronymic: Lavrov Nikolaj Dmitrievich

Military rank: Sr. Lieutenant

Position and unit: Commander of the 1st mortar company 1st Rifle Battalion, 669th Rifle ?Kobrin? Red Banner Regiment, 212th Rifle ?Krichev? Red Banner and Orders of Suvorov and Kutuzov Division.

Born: 1920

Nationality: Russian

Party membership: member of the Communist Party since August 1944, Membership ID book # 6695659

Participation in war: In battles of the Great Patriotic War since June 22, 1941

Wounds and contusions: Lightly wounded on October 15, 1941, January 15, 1945 and March 1945; heavily wounded on February 3, 1944

In Red Army: since October 1940

Drafted by: Krasnogorsk Subregional Military Office, Moscow Region

Previous awards: Order of the Red Star by the Decree of 212th Rifle Division # 45 from July 27, 1944; order of the Patriotic War 1st class by the Decree of 80th Rifle Corps # 105-N from November 1, 1944

Permanent address: Moscow Region, Krasnogorsk Subregion, village New-Nikolskoye. Father: Lavrov Dmitrij Fedorovich

Short description of military merits:

During the military operations on German territory comrade Lazarev acted as a brave and courageous officer. He especially displayed himself during the battles for the towns XXlyajn (first part of the name is invisible), Oberhof and Kimverden around the city of Altdamm on March 12 ? 20, 1945.

Due to his skillful command, his company successfully repelled XX (invisible) enemy counterattacks, destroyed 17 enemy machine-gun positions, and disabled 2 enemy self-propelled guns. In the battle for the town of Oberhof on March 18, 1945 comrade Lavrov was wounded. However, he did not quit the battle and kept performing his military tasks.

He deserves a state award Order of the Red Banner.

Signed: Commander of the 669th Rifle ?Kobrin? Red Banner Regiment Lt. Colonel Eskalov

Date: April 1, 1945

Deserves a state award Order of the Red Banner

Signed: Commander of the 212th Rifle ?Krichev? Red Banner and Orders of Suvorov and Kutuzov Division Colonel (illegible)

Date: (illegible)

Signed: Commander of the 80th Rifle ?Pomeransk? Corps Major-General Verzhbitskij

Date: April 26, 1945

By the Decree of the Commander of the 61st Army # 500-N from May 18, 1945 awarded with the order of the Red Banner.

Verified by: Chief of the 2nd Unit of the Personnel Department of the 61st Army Major of the Administrative Services Sklyarov.

Hi Vic,

Congratulations on a great piece with terrific research. And how I envy you in having his pic wearing the award (along with the rest he was awarded). This has been a long time dream for me which I hope comes true some day.

So happy for you my friend. Hope all your research is a good or even better than this one! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Vic,

Congratulations on a great piece with terrific research. And how I envy you in having his pic wearing the award (along with the rest he was awarded). This has been a long time dream for me which I hope comes true some day.

So happy for you my friend. Hope all your research is a good or even better than this one! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Dan

Glad you like it, :cheers:

I was lucky with this service record :jumping:

Thank you for the encouragement :beer:

Vic

I couldn?t find the other names: XXlyajn (first part of the name is invisible), Kimverden around the city of Altdamm on March 12 ? 20, 1945.

After looking in Paul?s book I am not sure that the town is right. Paul places the 61 Army in the region north to Berlin (see map) and Wittenberg.

But there is no other town called Oberhof in eastern Germany.

Maybe you could post the original russian names in the text.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

I've got a TON of maps in my collection that cover the period 16 April to 9 May (as Paul's does) but there are very few that cover the March-April 1945 time period in detail. However, I did find one that might be of interest.

You can see that on 5 March, the 61st was just to the southeast of Shtargard. They then commenced a pinscer movement, which then brought them directly to the east of Altdamm. Their final lines of movement on this map "the end of March" - so something around the same time that this citation was written. It appears that the 212th Rifle Division was probably on the western edge of the 61st Army, and thus was doing the fighting in Altdamm. Now what you need to do is get a detailed map of that area of travel of the army during March and find the other villages as they have to be within that area.

Dave

Perhaps the reason why no one could find Altdamm (even though in 1945 it was the largest town in the 61st Army's path) is that by at least 1978, it didn't exist. I assume that it was probably incorporated into Shettin.

Dave

P.S. Yes, I love maps. :cheers:

Perhaps the reason why no one could find Altdamm (even though in 1945 it was the largest town in the 61st Army's path) is that by at least 1978, it didn't exist. I assume that it was probably incorporated into Shettin.

Dave

P.S. Yes, I love maps. :cheers:

Yes, or they gave the german towns new polish names. I could find any of these towns (Kimverden, Altdamm, Oberhof) on

a new map from Poland.

http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?z_city_id=24&form_t=1

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Yes, or they gave the german towns new polish names. I could find any of these towns (Kimverden, Altdamm, Oberhof) on

a new map from Poland.

http://mapa.szukacz.pl/?z_city_id=24&form_t=1

regards

Andreas

Thanks guys this is real cool, trying to track down were abouts he fought.

Heres some info I managed to dig up about Altdam and Shettin now the town of Dąbie

According to Wikapedia the town was part of Shettin (Szczecin) form 1938 - 1945 and then a sepertate town from 1945 - 1948 and then from 1948 to the present as Shettin :unsure: