News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stolen Valor Act - e-bay

Guest Darrell

The start? I know that there are some US gallantry lots (though some look dubious) coming up at the La Galerie Numismatique auction this weekend. It will be interesting to see if they are pulled. Moreover, it will be interesting to see what the next FJP auction looks like. Will they be setting up a European branch office? (And may I apply for that job, Jeff?)

I hope someone sets up an "underground railroad" to get these poor medals to a civilised country (not including Canada any more, it seems) where they can be preserved and studied. If they stay here they'll probably be trashed. At least European phalerisists will be able to study and preserve US history in the face of the patriotic tyranny here.

i find this entire situation rather sad. I have not received any notice from eBay, but they don't have to actually do that. It is incumbent on the seller to know the law, or in some cases.... the eBay rules that supercede the law....

... it will be interesting to see what the next FJP auction looks like. Will they be setting up a European branch office? (And may I apply for that job, Jeff?)

Ha, I'm already in Belgium, nicely situated in the centre of Western Europe ... although, I must concede, taxes etc. here are very high.

Seriously though, Ed's "underground railroad" idea is quite feasible : send someone you trust the US medals you want to sell off for him/her to put up in the local eBay auction with the restriction that no shipment will be made to the US. That should pass eBay's scrutiny ... It would cost a bit more as extra shipment costs and currency exhange fees would come into it but at least you'd be able to still sell.

Likewise one could ask a trusted fellow collector to purchase an item and have it sent over to the States ... I wouldn't be surprised if the odd Medal of Honor found its way back "home" that way earlier on.

Cheers,

Hendrik (who dislikes a lot of laws)

Guest Darrell

I just recently had a named Bronze Star arrive in the mail. It had been shipped out of the States on Dec. 21st. Only just arrived ... I was rather worried the Feds had decided to nix further progress in the mail :unsure:

I wonder what the deal will be now .... if you do happen to buy a valor medal and it does survive e-bay listing etc, what are the chances it may get stopped before delivery?

I doubt that there will not be much the post office and the feds are going to do on about opening mail. Imagine if they opened a package and it was the hard earned PH that my brother in law just got and was sending home to the folks...What is interesting is to see today how few valor medals are still listed as opposed to 48 hours ago. Thankfuly you can get your PH licence plate and DSC challenge coin... :violent::violent::violent::violent::ninja::o

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Under U.S. Title 17, only the MEDAL OF HONOR cannot be given away, sold, or traded. No other other medals and controled as the ban of buying, trading, and selling full size U.S. medals was lifted several decades ago. eBay staff is like a box of cereal, full of flakes and nuts. Purple Heart Medal sells for about US$25.00 to US$40.00 and are quite plentiful. Distinguished Service Medals cost about US$75.00 more or less as a lot goes into manufacturing them. You always need to ask the person selling the medal how much shipping & handling will cost and if they can ship to where you are at? Under the U.S. Embargo on Cuba, we in the States cannot buy Cuban medals, so we have someone in the UK get them delivered to their address and remailed to the U.S. Be sure to have whomeversells you something declare NO VALUE on the customs declaration sticker! :Cat-Scratch: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California :Cat-Scratch:

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Under U.S. Title 17, only the MEDAL OF HONOR cannot be given away, sold, or traded. No other other medals and controled as the ban of buying, trading, and selling full size U.S. medals was lifted several decades ago. eBay staff is like a box of cereal, full of flakes and nuts. Purple Heart Medal sells for about US$25.00 to US$40.00 and are quite plentiful. Distinguished Service Medals cost about US$75.00 more or less as a lot goes into manufacturing them. You always need to ask the person selling the medal how much shipping & handling will cost and if they can ship to where you are at? Under the U.S. Embargo on Cuba, we in the States cannot buy Cuban medals, so we have someone in the UK get them delivered to their address and remailed to the U.S. Be sure to have whomeversells you something declare NO VALUE on the customs declaration sticker! :Cat-Scratch: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California :Cat-Scratch:

Have you followed the whole insanity of the recent "Stolen Valor" act? Apparently not?

Have you followed the whole insanity of the recent "Stolen Valor" act? Apparently not?

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Yes, Stolen Valor Act as I comprehend it is about people illegally getting the MEDAL OF HONOR and wearing it, but I still can buy any other medal of the United States Armed Forces here in southern California at local gunshows and insignia meetings. As I recall, the United States Congress puts forth Bills and many go nowhere with them. The only Bill from Congress that I understand passed was to do with the MOH, not necessarily the other medals. I have been collecting since the early 1950s and remember when one could not legally buy and sell U.S. Armed Forces medals. I was in the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors and contributed articles and my own graphic art and am still active in assisting writers of books on insignia as an unpaid volunteer. I believe posers who wear the MOH should be prosecuted, but do not see a need to restrict other awards. Its very easy to buy any medal or a handgun, even when it was not legal. I own neither! I gave away my own medals to a collector in the UK. Whether they pass the "Stolen Valor Act" or remains moot with all due respect, sir! :cat: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Yes, Stolen Valor Act as I comprehend it is about people illegally getting the MEDAL OF HONOR and wearing it, but I still can buy any other medal of the United States Armed Forces here in southern California at local gunshows and insignia meetings. As I recall, the United States Congress puts forth Bills and many go nowhere with them. The only Bill from Congress that I understand passed was to do with the MOH, not necessarily the other medals. I have been collecting since the early 1950s and remember when one could not legally buy and sell U.S. Armed Forces medals. I was in the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors and contributed articles and my own graphic art and am still active in assisting writers of books on insignia as an unpaid volunteer. I believe posers who wear the MOH should be prosecuted, but do not see a need to restrict other awards. Its very easy to buy any medal or a handgun, even when it was not legal. I own neither! I gave away my own medals to a collector in the UK. Whether they pass the "Stolen Valor Act" or remains moot with all due respect, sir! :cat: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

Not to recaptulate months of discussion here and elsewhere, but the act has been passed and signed. Find those posts and read them, please. It covers all US decorations, medals, and even badges, it seems, though the idiots that drafted it were more concerned with flogging their silly patrioitsm than writing clear legislation. Rather than deal with the non-problem of fraudulent claims to awards, it has essentially killed the collecting of US medals, at least in in the US; they can still be collected and studied in the sane and free world.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Sarge Booker and everyone else out there - before you go on any further - read this.... http://www.omsa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1332

:speechless1:

Be well aware - another freedom has been taken from you - and it dont matter that any congressmen stads next to MOH recipients, that smiling congresman just took you one more step down into the abyss of lots liberites that were apparently guaranteed by the Constitution of the USA.

"Whether they pass the "Stolen Valor Act" or remains moot with all due respect, sir!" - Good Lord - "at least its not in my back yard" mentality

Edited by hunyadi

Sarge Booker and everyone else out there - before you go on any further - read this.... http://www.omsa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1332

:speechless1:

Absolutely! (That's why I gave the link in post # 6 already. But, for those who haven't read it, it is well worth repeating!)

I think there's a lot we don't know yet, especially in terms of enforcement. I hope (HOPE!) the OMSA becomes a bit more active and aggressive on this, though it may be too late for that.

Makes me glad that, other than a few family groups (which I don't think of as part of the "collection"), I have few US medals. Actually I did add a few just before the new stupid law, just to have some (more) Illegal Things.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

It seems like authorities in the US and Russia are starting to miss the busy times of the cold war and have less things to fill their day. Hence they fill their time with more petty things and take some sort of pride in ruining the joy of collectors worldwide.

As for e-bay.... well I can understand them not wanting to be a platform for stuff that could get them in trouble with the authorities. E-bay remains a business and reduced commissions from selling medals can never be as costly as legal action being taking against them by some government or other possibly even resulting in closure of the site if the governement really gets peeved off!

Sad how a matter of selfless bravery is now seen as a contract with the state and that the recipient, further to his selfelss act of bravery is now seen as owing something to that state just because the state saw it fit to give him an award...... which really means nothing much were it not for the act of bravery that is what really gives these orders and medals value! But I find I repeat myself when it comes to this point!

Absolute bull anyways! :(

Jim

Greetings all,

Here is an analysis that was posted on the OMSA forum regarding the Stolen Valor Act. I guess the FBI need a real job so we U.S. collectors are the new targets.

Ron :banger:

Good. It has not been linked three times. Read it three times.

Good. It has not been linked three times. Read it three times.

I'm not a OMSA guy, so can someone tell me if Mr. Winther is an attorney? I know I am, and he and I reached the same conclusion about the law's effects (which is disheartning).

Also, does anyone have a link to legislative-history materials pertaining to the SVA? I'd like to see where congresspeople allegedly assured the world that collectors and historians would not be impacted.

Edited by Nack

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how long this takes for the apple cart gets dumped..... onset of an election cycle..... could be lots of crotch-grabbing and spitting when talking coming up here. Pathetic.

Does anyone have any idea how many actual collectors of US ODM there are?

If I read the analysis right..... My Mother in Law is now a criminal and will have to report herself to.... who?

Local Police? FBI? Treasury Department/Secret Service?

My Mother -in -Law is now a criminal and will have to report herself to.... who? Local Police? FBI? Treasury Department/Secret Service?

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Speaking ill of mothers-in-law, did you know they do not make a greetinbg card for the Mother-in-Law? They have greetings cards for Aunts, Fiances, Grandmothers, Mothers, Sisters, Wives, etc.! Some might think you report a mother-in-law to the local dog-catcher if they are unkind? The "Stolen Valour Act" is something unenviable like the notorious mother-in-law, there, but best ignored? Does "stolen valour" include crappy politicians on both sides of the aisle? Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California (POST SCRIPT: Only on The Jerry Springer Show do some men end up with their mother-in-law in some compromising position?) :Cat-Scratch:

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Speaking ill of mothers-in-law, did you know they do not make a greetinbg card for the Mother-in-Law? They have greetings cards for Aunts, Fiances, Grandmothers, Mothers, Sisters, Wives, etc.! Some might think you report a mother-in-law to the local dog-catcher if they are unkind? The "Stolen Valour Act" is something unenviable like the notorious mother-in-law, there, but best ignored? Does "stolen valour" include crappy politicians on both sides of the aisle? Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California (POST SCRIPT: Only on The Jerry Springer Show do some men end up with their mother-in-law in some compromising position?) :Cat-Scratch:

WHAT?