News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Iraqi items

Eric K.

this might look just like a bundled up piece of silk but its not,it stands for ( Sadr's militia) and it took myself and my section over 5 hours of very heavy fighting and this is what I ended up with. In the end I ripped their flag from their position and it will lay balled up in a heap till the day I die

anyways, its a piece of black silk thats about 5 feet in length that was hand sewn into a flag.

Edited by Eric K.

this might look just like a bundled up piece of silk but its not,I will never unfurl it all the way because of what it stands for ( Sadr's militia) and it took myself and my section over 5 hours of very heavy fighting and the loss of 2 of my men and 3 wounded to finally neutralize between 35-40 militia men. In the end I ripped their flag from their position and it will lay balled up in a heap till the day I die

anyways, its a piece of black silk thats about 5 feet in length that was hand sewn into a flag.

If this was 1946 and clothing was scarce... your wife would have already made 6 pairs of silk underwear from that....

Our neighbour had his playing shorts as a kiddie made from a paratrooper smock....

In Shiite belief, the black flag also evokes expectations about the afterlife. I would compare this to their "battle flag". These flags were present with writing but most I have seen were without any writing of any type.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/imagery_warfare.asp#blackflag

I remember seeing these flags as well. I saw the green flag, mainly on mosques.

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/imagery_geography.asp#greenflag

Mention is made of a white flag, but I did not see one of these...

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/imagery_geography.asp#whiteflag

Sorry if I carried your thread off topic.

In Shiite belief, the black flag also evokes expectations about the afterlife. I would compare this to their "battle flag".

http://www.ctc.usma.edu/imagery_warfare.asp#blackflag

I would be very very careful with such glib statements and such sources. There is such rampant intentional "disinformation" being dispersed about regarding Islam (whether Sunni of Shi'i or any other kind).

this might look just like a bundled up piece of silk but its not,I will never unfurl it all the way because of what it stands for ( Sadr's militia) and it took myself and my section over 5 hours of very heavy fighting and the loss of 2 of my men and 3 wounded to finally neutralize between 35-40 militia men. In the end I ripped their flag from their position and it will lay balled up in a heap till the day I die

Eric,

I'm sad to here of your losses and wounded. I've been in your shoes as an NCOIC of medics. I understand why you would not want to unveil their "flag".

Take Care,

Doc Riley

Thanks for the info, I also have alot of of posters that look very similar to the thread you posted.they like to wave around their RPG's and AK's for propaganda. the flag was a symbol of Moqtada Sadr's militia (Mehdi militia ) they were a major pain in my A** thats for sure but I'll let them die for their country (or beliefs) any day.

Thanks guys

Eric

Great thread!

p.s. i would sew a small card holder on that flag detailing whence and how it came into your possession. It's now history -and 60 years from now a museum will hold it more dear if it has rock solid provenance. Let the item speak ...

Edited by Ulsterman

• 1 year later...