News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

30th years anniversary of army and navy

Hello,

in the most cases I saw a round ring with 30th anniversary of soviet army and navy medals.

Is a U-shaped ring at the 30th anniversary medal a rare variant or a fake?

In the last days I saw two of them.

regards and thanks

Andreas

Hello,

in the most cases I saw a round ring with 30th anniversary of soviet army and navy medals.

Is a U-shaped ring at the 30th anniversary medal a rare variant or a fake?

In the last days I saw two of them.

regards and thanks

Andreas

Dear Andreas,

dear Doc,

the U-shaped ring is fixed at the wrong spot of the medal (!).

The medal looks strange and I have never seen a "30-Years-Medal" with an U-shaped ring.

At least the ribbon seems to be original.

But, why to fake that rather cheap medal :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an interesting note. Avers #6 lists 2 veriations of this medal. The differences are minor changes in the bas relief of Stalin. I have never bothered to obtain and both variations of this. However, this is indicative of 2 different stamps and perhaps 2 different mints (?) which could account for differences in the quality/detail of some medals. Can anyone throw more detail on this humbl3 30 year anniversary medal?

Jim

Jim you probably know this, but here is, what the MODVOR-website says about this Medal. I am sorry for the bad english, its a babelfish translation.

"Some differences in the die of medal are noted. These differences are most noticeable during the study of pursuits and buttonholes on Stalin's tunic. The edging of pursuits and buttonholes is well noticeable in some copies of medal. The edging is absent in other copies, buttons and image of coat of arms are smoothed. Probably, data of relief change could occur because of the temporary wear of the die of medal. However, is not excluded the possibility of existence of two different it is specific die, that deserve their isolation into the separate versions. At the given moment this question remains open."

Well I had never looked up the Mondvor site on that :rolleyes: but I had picked up on it going through Avers. So effectively although they are 2 variations there is no clue as to whether or not they came from different mints or maybe simply, different moulds. An interesting detail on a medal that most would otherwise not spare a second glance at.

Jim