News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What To Make Of This P/O?

I had this pic sent to me asking about authenticity. I've not seen an UM (FLL) Pilot or Pilot Observer before with such a hinge - have you?? It looks as though the rest of the badge conforms to the UM characteristics. Any opinions and or concerns on this one guys? Thanks!

ERIC

Eric

I first saw this badge back in Nov '06:http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/800097573/m/9630065164

It's definately unusual. I can make the following observations:

• All the details and finish look correct
    • I have never seen this style of hinge on this type before in either pilot or pilot/observer.
    • I have never seen the pin blued on this type before in either pilot or pilot/observer.
    Where does it leave me? I'm on the fence and slightly uneasy.

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Hi Eric,

I?m in the same boat as Rich. It?s hard to see any details from these pix (Any others available?) so hard to comment on particulars, other than the hinge/pin issue.

I will say that there are some very good fakes of this badge going around, most with the same style barrel hinge but usually with a ?C? catch.

So, to get to grips with this badge, I think it?ll come down to one of those that will require a lot more investigation. I certainly wouldn?t buy it from the pix supplied, and if, for example, I saw it at a show, had the choice of this one and one that was perhaps less minty, but text book? I know which one I?d go for.

Thanks Rich and John for the opinions and additional comments! As you can see I definately had some doubts with this one as well. No other pics John, this set is the only one sent to me by the individual. I too liked the finish which I could see by the closeup of the catch. The catch itself looks like the proper shepherds' crook found on the UM badges. I agree that better pics are needed, or better yet to have it in hand for closer examination. I know of a few of the repros which you speak of JTW with the "c" catch. I'll try to get better detailed pics from the person if available. As of now and for that P/O money, I too would have a textbook example instead. Thanks again - I'll pass along the information.

ERIC

HI Guys,

I haven't done an actual A/B comparison with images, but does the obverse eagle and wreath remotely match GWL? At a quick glimpse, I thought it was a GWL with completely different reverse hardware. And the hardware is a mixture, too. It is not, say, all Juncker, or all BSW.....

Pretty damn nice finish, if not authentic.

Regards,

Mark

*** I just checked against a GWL P/O. The dies are different.

Edited by mmiller